Jeanette S
Jeanette S
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atlanta, GA

Egg carton seeding method

I got this idea from Steve G. I failed to get my small Purple Drumstick bulbs in the ground when I should have so I decided to go ahead and get them started. I put them in a protected area on a back porch with a green house enclosure and heat source. Wish me luck...thanks Steve G.
I filled the compartments about half full, put in the bulb and then filled.
These will be watered lightly and set aside to germinate.

• Tammie

do cartons have to be in sun or will a bright room do

• Jeanette S

I just keep them in the kitchen until they begin to sprout if it looks like we are going to have some cold nights, but when it gets warm, I put them on the back screen porch. I don't set them outside until they come up. Leave them in the carton until they get big enough to handle putting them in the ground and you are sure the cold weather is gone!

We do indeed see a lot of sun-burned noses!

• Jeanette S

Well, I did this post some time back and am still using this method. My son bought some of those peat pods about the size of a nickle that have to be soaked for a couple of days before you put the seed in...we are soaking them now! I will put Daisy seed in them and wait until they get up good before planting them...probably in late April.