Pot Farm! Or....Pot Rack! -- Kitchen Storage

My sister came home for a visit last summer. She lives in Alaska where she eats fresh muskox, sunbathes nude, doesn't wear deodorant, and doesn't shave.
Perhaps you really are what you eat.
Not my actual sister.
She's extremely opinionated (she would argue this description and say that she's simply right...about everything).
Her latest crusade is to rid all households of every ounce of aluminum. "THOSE POTS ARE MADE OF ALUMINUM! Don't use them unless you want to get ALZHEIMER'S!"
I replied, "Who are you and how did you get past my security trolls?!? Don't eat my dog!!!"
I have an old set of pots (Phil bought them a long time ago--a very nice set) that are aluminum. Gina freaked out.
So like a good little sheeple, I followed her to Costco where I bought a beautiful, shiny new set of stainless steel pots and pans. They really are lovely.
I got home, ready to purge the offending aluminum, when I re-read the bottom of the pots. WEAR-EVER ALUMINUM (Plus Stainless Inner-Clad)..... Oops.
And made in the USA. Yeah, like I'm going to get rid of those.
Needless to say I still kept my new set.
But now I need somewhere to put all this crap. Because my pantry is still the dumping ground.
My husband is a dang genius and designed a pot rack for my new toys. We acquired some FREE rough-sawn cedar from our neighbor. He measured and cut the frame, and using his Kreg pocket screw Jig, drilled the pocket holes for the screws to connect the pieces.
We bought 3/4" copper pipe, elbows, threaded fittings, and cast iron floor flanges to attach them to the frame. Philly (my hubby) soldered the fittings to the elbows, inserted the fittings into the flanges, then screwed them to the frame.
Don't hate me because I've got 2 inches on the window frame.
(The crossbars are not soldered to the elbows, allowing hooks to be added or subtracted at a later date.)
The overall look was great.
But something vital was missing. Oh...there it is! This is a pot farm, after all.
I printed and cut out my letters, tacked them to my board, then traced them. Phil played with his router, then I filled the letters in with antique copper metallic craft paint.
I was initially going to add a marijuana leaf to the sign, but Phil was mortified.
"We're going to have neighbors over and they're going to think we smoke pot!"
Me: "What neighbors? We have no friends. No one is coming over. Even if they do, do you suppose they have no sense of humor (like you)? Besides, it's our damn house and I'll do what I like."
In an attempt to foster an acceptable blood-pressure level, I decided to leave off the leaf.
But just for fun:
**Just to clarify...the new set IS stainless steel. The old set is LINED with stainless steel, so I kept both sets...which is why I needed the pot farm!**
I'd love for you to come visit me at my blog linked below!
-andi

Delusions of ingenuity

• Grace Rasmussen

Good Idea- would there have been room to hang the rack in your pantry? I am making shelves for my "stuff" and try to imagine better ideas for things, thanks for this!

• Pamela

Well! I for one would be honored to visit you, pot farm & all!! Thanks for the ingenious rack diy!

• Angel Duncan-Robinson

Can you show a close up of the lid config?

• Tiffany Lea

Love your sense of humor! This has been one of my favorite DIY's I've read on here. You had my attention with the picture before the article even fully loaded. I cant wait to try this project! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Carolyn B

I like them all, looking at the pans hanging from the cross bars, looked like the lids would have slid into the top of the bars. All Great ideas. wish I had room for a pantry, I have a galley kitchen, that says it all>not much room.