HomeSpot HQ
HomeSpot HQ
  • Durham, NC

Keep a Toilet Clean (much longer)

Have a toilet that seems to get dirty very fast despite thorough cleaning? Try cleaning the siphon jets.
1.) Clean the underside of the rim with a nylon brush and homemade cleaning solution of vinegar, baking soda, and water.
2.) Shut off the water supply and flush the toilet to empty the tank.
3.) Block off the siphon jets with duct tape.
4.) Pour 1 gallon of vinegar in the tank and flush the toilet. Let it sit over night.
5.) In the morning remove the tape and open the water supply. Flush water through once to clear out any remaining vinegar.
Siphon jets below the rim of the toilet bowl.
Homemade cleaner: http://bit.ly/XpRibR
Homemade cleaner: http://bit.ly/XpRibR
HomeSpot HQ

• Moana Luka

old toilet in Rental unit, the inside of tank is black w/mold. Was told never use clorox to clean the toilet (which I have always used a Clorox tablet in the tank and less than 1/8 of a cup to clean the bowl and outside, been doing this for over 42 yrs with no problem of wearing out the plumbing wax or anything else.) so how do I clean the tank.

• Emily Shoemaker

I would use vinegar. Baking soda if an abrasive is needed, can be combined. I'm also a fan of Simple Green cleaner. Has a great scent and cleans great.

• Katy

I will never use chlorine again: damaged the rubber components in tank, and valve apparatus (not just flapper and easy-repair parts), which cost several hundred $ for plumber to rebuild.
    • Carey

I had the same problem as Katy, thankfully, I had a handy hubby who was able to fix it. So now I have those toilet tabs that I can't use! Will be looking for another use for them since I am to cheap to toss!
    • Tammie Green Hattaway

Katy you can buy a toilet for $100. Change plumbers.
    • Ser572402

I’ve had a cleaning service for over 30 yrs & I’ve seen it all! Chlorine is fine unless you’re on septic. But yes, after years of use they’ll erode

metal & make the flapper ripple. All those things cost less than a new toilet & between google & youtube, can all be done easily. Use a brush, might need a toothbrush also to get in tiny places & scrub & rinse it out until clean. Not a big deal. I will never not use bleach tabs. Way easier than scrubbing the tank.

• Lesley

My problem is I shouldn't have to do any of this! My house (toilet) was built in 1948 - I never had a problem & would use the tabs occasionally. Now live down the street in a rental. We run off the same city water (built in 1980) & now, even without kids, it constantly has those black marks. One toilet is new & I haven't used the tabs but it hs the black marks. I tried the duct tape which worked but I have 2 toilets & this doesn't last long. At 70, I don't plan to spend my life cleaning toilets! Is this some kind of pipe problem? I know my landlady - anything wrong & I get blamed since she doesn't have anyone else to pick on.

• Ingrid Steenkamp

Go to your local swimming pool store and buy the small chlorine tabs. You get about 20 in a cylinder for about $ 12. Put one in your tank once a month or when you see it has dissolved, then place another in the tank. This keeps your toilet clean and odour free. No work no fuss

• Toni Cortese Gygi

I'd like to try this. Just need the "recipe" for the vinegar/baking soda cleaner

• Lisa Prater

Love this. I use vinegar and dish soap but will try soda. Can't take the smell of bleach.