Hot Pink American of Martinsville Dresser / Buffet

This vintage AoM dresser was boxy and bulky - but new feet and a hot new color make the perfect statement piece for bold and modern taste.
This dresser was a find a local thrift store. I tried to encourage some of my local followers on Instagram to buy this piece (and a matching tallboy) because I really didn't have room to take it home. Needless to say, the piece waited for me, and the message was clear - it was my job to make it pretty again. :)
Here is one the photos I shared on IG of the piece in original condition. {You can follow me at @christina_phoenixrestoration }. I bought it when I went back a week later for 50% off day and it was still there...much to my surprise.
The piece sat in my van for a couple of weeks while I finished up the makeover for my other pink AoM piece. When I was able to work on it, my first order of business was to remove that hideous skirt from the dresser that made it appear heavy and blocky.
BTW, I would LOVE it if all of you who like/commented on that piece would help me out by voting for it in a contest I entered through General Finishes . Voting is open through 3/25/15 and you can see my entry directly by clicking here.
https://generalfinishes.com/contest-entry/american-of-martinsville-campaign-credenza-in-bougainvillea#.VQn77EJGkfw
Scroll down - just ONE CLICK to vote, no email entries or registration. And you can vote for as many images as you like, so be sure to peruse the talent on display from all the lovely contestants.
I fully stripped the top and sides.
Lacquer on the drawers was worn thin, so I went straight to sanding. No stripper needed.
The dresser and drawers were primed. Thank goodness for mild weather in mid-February!
I (my husband, actually) chose this crazy pink color by Benjamin Moore called "Hot Lips"I sprayed the paint on with my new Husky HVLP sprayer, which I love! Seriously, if you are painting furniture - GET ONE! I'm used to working with General Finishes paint, but this Ben Moore paint from the "Aura" line went on easy and smooth. Highly recommend.
Looking good!
For the topcoat, I paired the paint with Ben Moore's "Stays Clear" acrylic topcoat. While the results were ultimately very nice, giving the furniture the glossy look that I love so much, it was a little bit tricky to work with. I dive into to full detail on this in my blog post (link below)
I found new feet for my piece at Lowe's! So much better than trying to find vintage feet on Etsy or eBay.
The hardware polished up beautifully. I used a combo of Klean Strip to remove the old lacquer from the brass and then I polished with barkeeper's friend. I have lots of resources on my blog for restoring brass - check it out if you need tips.
And here you go! The staged, full reveal!
I'm at my limit for photos - but you can view the full shoot and details on my blog. For high res photos, head over to my Flickr photostream for this and my growing portfolio.

Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Phoenix Restoration

• Mar8791369

OMG my granddaughter would store this dresser. Beautiful job. Didn't you just love to flip furniture. I'm turning out of space in my house!!

• Laura Gronen

Love this..love the color... i must do a project with this beautiful paint color