Thrifty and Chic
Thrifty and Chic
  • Salt Lake City, UT

Kid's Play Area Hidden In Plain Site

I'm always struggling with the balance of keeping my house clean and having toy clutter everywhere. Although the toy clutter will inevitably happen, I found a great way to contain it and make it look like the rest of the house. And the best thing is, it's pretty much hidden unless you're looking for it :)
kid s play area hidden in plain site, living room ideas, organizing, storage ideas
Here's the before. This is pretty much 'cleaned up'. Even with it cleaned up, it was still horrible to look at...especially with guests over. I just didn't have enough hidden storage for all the toys.
And here's the after! Just moving the cabinet out of the space made for a ton more room and the ability to add some cube storage. And these cubes hold a lot of stuff!
Here's what you see when you walk into the room. You can't even tell what's behind the couch.
And if you happen to step around it, this is what you see. It looks just like an extension of the room. Of course this doesn't stay looking like this...hardly ever in fact :) But when it's time to clean up and put things away, it becomes a cute little reading nook and window seat.

Thrifty and Chic

• Mary Becker

I love your ideas. What color did you paint the walls. I have all white wooden shutters and molding and love the off-beige color of your walls. Can you tell me what color and brand you used?

• Linda Sworden

Everything is SO WHITE, you sure you have kids here?