Mason Jar Blue Headboard Bench

Hi friends! Today I'm excited to be sharing this beautiful milk painted headboard that I transformed into a bench. I found this at the thrift store for $30.
It was quite beat up to start:
The first step was cutting the foot board in half to create the new sides. I used my Kreg Jig Jr to create pilot holes so that I could attach the new sides to the back at nice flush 90 degree angles. I also added the piece across the front to help hold the seat slats.
For this piece I used milk paint from Junque Boutique. This color is Mason Jar Blue and I just love it! Milk paint comes in a powder form and requires mixing with water.
For the seat slats, I used pieces of scrap wood I found in the garage.
I love how milk paint gives you these chippy, very natural looking results.
It can be unpredictable though in that you can get more flaking that you desire. I ended up sanding the back of this piece and repainting it to get the look I wanted.
I just love the color!
It fits in perfectly in this corner of my dining room!
If I left this unpainted with all that wear, for sale in my booth, it would never sell. Now it has a whole new chance to be treasured for years to come.
For more details on how to build a bench from a headboard and to see the rest of the makeovers I have completed in my March Madness, 31 Thrifty Makeovers in 31 Days series, click over to my blog at the link below!

Confessions of a Serial DIYer

• Dsouther

I hate to see old beds turned into benches. Especially since they are usually made out of hardwood and will probably last an equal amount of years as that they already have. I purchased this very same style bed for my son when he was a toddler. it was an antique even then. He is still using it in his own home 30 years later. At least you have yours inside. Some people are going to be so disappointed when their benches start to rot from being placed out doors. Wooden beds were never meant to be put outdoors.

• Jane

I am also disappointed to see so many of the antique/old furniture being refinished from their original look. But I have to say that I’d rather have them turned into beautiful new pieces than to see them in the landfill. If the new styles fit into someone else’s life so much the better. I’ve learned to accept a “to each his own” way of thinking. And I have to say this upcycle is beautifully done.

• Joanie

This is really pretty and would match really good in my large room........:(( I'd love to own it.