Asked on Mar 21, 2015

Any ideas on outdoor flooring that can be laid right over grass

CodyLrw1401470
+17

I'm a renter with a big backyard. I need to create an outdoor space with flooring and shade than can be removed easily if we ever decide to move. Nothing too tacky but useful.
  • Country Design Home

Hi Wil- The best solution I could think of that would be sturdy but not permanent is these teak patio squares- they are interlocking so they stay put. Available at most big box stores. But I will say that no matter what you put down, you are going to kill the grass underneath it so perhaps you might check with your landlord before doing anything? http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Premium-Plantation-Teak-Tiles-Box-of-10/4348649/product.html

• Teresa Still

I used wooden pallets and then put down sheets of plywood over that.

• Diane

We had a floor rug that was going to the trash.... instead we laid it in the garden for our ground cover... made a cute sitting area!

• Marsha Whitt

@Wil - Lowe's has composite interlocking pieces that are very durable (as Sue mentioned), or you could lay down 4'x8' sheets of concrete board (goes by diefferent names: Permaboard, Hardyboard...) - somewhat lightweight, virtually indestructible. Have fun!

• Candace Baker

I'd try a bamboo rug. This is one I have in my office. As you see the slats make it pliable so moving it is easy and placing it on an uneven ground it'll stay flat and sturdy. This flat non-pours surface is great for a party or social space where you might put furniture and have to quickly clean a spill. The other idea I like is that it's natural so it will compliment the grass it is on,if that's where you'll lay it down. It won't get soaked like carpet. I might put a tarp under it though,unless you find one suited for a lawn. Good-luck!!

q any ideas on outdoor flooring that can be laid right over grass, flooring, outdoor living, Bamboo rug Durable attractive and easy to move
  • Barbara

Thanks for all your help i think i'm going to try interlocks pcs, that Marsha had mention

• Teresa Still

Sorry don't have that camera anymore.

• Elle

Hello I have the same question. I would just like to use the ideas mentioned below for a day for a gathering. Would it harm the grass if you lay it down for a day?
  • Gwen Barham Loftus

I saw these interlocking plastic ones at Big Lots and our neighbor made a small patio area using them. It looks super cute with his little cast iron chair and love seat. I think they are not expensive either.
  • Kim

I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to floor my gazebo that won't kill my grass but look great?

• 1401470

Well what about just putting down mulch? Other option would be to check out exterior rugs, home depot normally has a neat selection. They're designed for patios.

• Lrw

Great ideas guys.I think that I will get my handyman to put down pallets then cover them with a rug.I have a nice size yard so I am not stressed out when it comes to loosing the grass in that area.

• Cody

how did the composite decking workout? I’m in the same situation and trying not to kill the grass because I’ll have to move out in 15 months