Dagmar's Home
Dagmar's Home
  • Katonah, NY
Asked on Mar 23, 2015

Which color would you paint our front door? Help!

Lin21558230Bonnie WooleverK
+110

I just can't decide what the perfect front door color would be for our cottage! It needs a paint job. Do I keep it white? Other colors I'm thinking off are a barn red, light brown, or even a light green. What would work best with our light blue house color? Help!
Blue Cottage Decor: Our Porch and Yard http://bit.ly/1IKcdiB
Blue Cottage porch
Blue Cottage porch
Blue Cottage porch
Blue Cottage porch
Blue Cottage front door
Blue Cottage front door
  • Deezie

very pretty house, I think all the colors you are thinking about would look great. I would go with the light green but that is just me. Maybe do a sample on paper and tape it to the door of each color you are thinking about, good luck

• Sue@CountryDesignHome

Hi Dagmar! If this were my sweet blue cottage, I think I would do a couple of things. Add some black shutters to the windows, all except that little top one. For that I would add a window box to fill up some of that negative space above that big upper window. I would either stain the railings dark or paint them out white. Right now they just blend into the light blue color of the house. Then I would paint the front door (and maybe the window box) a bright coral or persimmon color for spring! (if it every comes...)

• Dagmar's Home

@Sue@CountryDesignHomeThanks, Sue! I love the window box idea for the top window! I love the mix of blue and orange, but I don't think I'm quite bold enough for a persimmon front door. The porch will definitely be painted white - once I find the time :)

• Richard Perry

what about a yellow door?????

• Mary-Jo Jensen-Schramm

I'm with Richard...a welcoming bright yellow!

• Cornelia Schott

Yes, a yellow door would look great. There are so many different shades of yellow. I might spruce up the railings and deck with a coat of white paint. Your cottage is adorable.

• Dagmar's Home

@Cornelia Schott I'm not a fan of yellow. But the porch will definitely be painted white - once I find the time :)

• Kathy

I would paint the door blue as a contrast to the house.

• Irishkay

YOu have the house I want!!!!! Its me! Anyway, I would keep it white and fix a really nice wreath for the door. The wreath would pop out!

• Barb Schmidt

Warm it up with a yellow or dark brown. Cute house!!

• Judy Kelley

a shade of Red and black or dark blue shutters

• Jodibett

I'm thinking a pretty royal blue. It would give a pop of color and look great with the light blue of the house.

• DONNA

I'd paint it royal blue like Jodi said!!

• Melissa Leach

Cute place, yellow or red door with black shutters.

• Ray Phillips

Barn red would look great with the blue siding.

• RESAW

I saw this on FB

, Something like this would be pretty on your
    • Dagmar's Home

@RESAW thanks! I'm thinking of going a few shades darker than the house color, similar to that.

• Teresa west

Definitely yellow!!!

• Thi742734

Barn red, and paint the porch rails bright white, then add the $20 white plastic (they sure don't look plastic) from Home Depot or lowes. I used them and you just hose em off when they get dirty! Have fun 😊

• Beatrice Tangeman

Sea foam green to tie it all in together with your cute little sign and pots !

• Katrina Warren

@Dagmar's Home You have an adorable cottage. For the door I'd go with something in a coral or orange color. I agree with shutters that everyone else seems to be suggesting, those I would do in white along with the porch railing. I think color choice is a personal thing & if YOU like it, it can't be wrong but a good rule of thumb if you aren't sure what you want or would compliment another color is to check a color wheel. The colors on either side of, or opposite from your main color choice are always complimentary to it. http://noblack.be/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/colour_wheel.jpg

• Kathryn Peltier

What is your color scheme inside? It is nice when the front door introduces the visitor to the inside of the home. Just about any color will work with this shade of blue. If you have primary colors inside, the use a primary color. If you have more pastel tones inside, then go with one of those (although you will want to intensify it for the exterior). When the door is open also, if you use a screen door in the summer, you want that color to work with the interior colors and finishes. The only exception to this would be a neutral (white, black, gray, etc.), but I think your cottage needs a fun color! Whatever color you do decide upon, paint the ENTIRE door that color - do not leave that little trim piece around the lite (the fan window) white. People do this ALL the time and it makes the door look fussy and piecemeal. P.S. Shutters don't look correct on a double window, so I would recommend staying away from them. If you want to add more color, paint your trim another accent color (a darker version of the siding color perhaps) which will make your windows stand out. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/255790453808932614/

• Jeanne

What curb appeal- your house is wonderful. I vote for YELLOW - not school bus yellow but not washed out either. I've painted the front door of every home Ilived in yellow. To me it's a no brainer. I did see a yellow house with a black front door with a wreath - it caught my eye.

• Beatrice Tangeman

Play up those square patterns the door with numbers or stencil a pattern

• Tony Flaherty

I think a pale milky green would be lovely. Fab house by the way. πŸ‘

• DH

Your porch looks very similar to mine, which was once pale blue with a red door. I thought the red door was super cute with the blue body. Black accents work well with that scheme, too. The white trim is cute, but off-white would soften up the whole look.

• Dagmar's Home

@DH Adorable house, Donna! Thanks for the picture so I can picture the red, appreciate it!

• Gepopham

I say yellow.

• Dawn Shea

the color of the arrow in the sign ,,,

• Anne T

Why not try the pantone color of the year "Marsala" ! The richness of this color plays off very well with the color of your home. I will be making over my front door this spring using last years' color ( radiant orchid).It's the most economical way to update the entire house and punch up your curb appeal. I also like blending the color into the landscape in terms of pots, flowers etc. Have fun with it, you can always change....

• TERRY HAYES

I love the white door with white shutters added. White is so crisp and clean looking.

• Lo

soft shade of yellow

• Cheryl

NAVY BLUE!!! or shade or that....

• Patio200

barn red with white shutters or black door with white shutters

• EJ Guidess

Bittersweet (a color between red and orange)

• Marion Nesbitt

@EJ Guidess Would be very nice - my choice, too - not too far off persimmon as someone else suggested.

• Marion Nesbitt

Agree with shutters - too high to get to a window box Have you thought about navy blue shutters? Would paint the railing soft white as the other trim. Door - love the idea of persimmon - you can always tone it darker.

• Patio200

@Marion Nesbitt agree with painting railing white, really set it off!!

• Cheryl @ Artzzle

What an adorable home. You could always get a paint chip with your house color on it and go to the darkest shade. Or, orange is the compliment of blue ... and deep coral tones are very popular right now. And if you were to stain your wood deck ... those deeper wood tones would be great with orange-coral colors. Whatever you choose, to add more interest, you might want to go to the opposite end in shades, ... something darker (brighter) rather than another light tint like the house is now, Be sure to post your After pictures :)

• Marge

I would go with a bright cheery yellow

• Karen S

I agree with Marge...yellow is ur best option. I painted my door a bright yellow a couple of years ago. My house sits off the road and I wanted to make a statement. I am very happy with my choice .We live in a small town and people rave about my door. Go get several samples and test small areas and stand a distance away and see how u like it. Remember also the color may be a little scary but think about what door decoration u might be using. I realized after I made my choice that my door decorations "pop"...they really come alive. Good luck and have fun!!!

• Cheryl

A grey blue would be pretty, but a medium, not dark

• Elv1217308

Adorable home! I would go with a light yellow, super white trim including the railing and do the door in a bright red. Some red geraniums hanging off the porch rail and you've made a lot of impact.

• Jud473139

Here is an interesting article on choosing front door color. It all depends on what you want to project. http://www.dow.com/news/press-releases/article/?id=5632

• Karen

Bright yellow or orange. Your pumpkins and flower pot are talking to you!

• Behr's paint .... December Eve ..... be beautiful with your white .... would set off the rest of the house and allows you a broader color palette for flowers on your porch and around the front of your house plus down the walk .....use spring mix of colors for flowers but the blue in the picture for the door .....[the darker one on the left at the bottom]

• @Dagmar's Home The December Eve is a long wearing paint and goes on well, it allows your trim [white] to stand out .... also think about doing your porch, railing in a true white and not a white wash color ... too many differences and colors leave you with an unsettled feeling when you look at it ..... your darker door will make the house look larger and gives you a nice backdrop for a pretty natural country style wreath to go on your door for decoration ... if money is an issue - as it is with us all - consider recycling items or buying plain terracotta pots and painting them in complimentary colors to put your plants in .... in this way you can use sleeve pots [change out your flowers with the season] and you don't have to continuously worry about extra expense for new pots ....will add on some pictures of ideas and you might get some inspiration + a great Facebook page that you will find useful ..... its a great house and could look very adorable as a country cottage design.

, recycle an old piece of porch furniture and plant flowers in seat, recycle an old barrel washtub etc, try a decorative natural wreath for your front door create your own or go to sites like Etsy com to find them, add complimentary but bright colors to your porch area and along your walk way helps call attention to the charming quality of your house, cluster your plants into containers for a more pulled together and fuller look instead of multiple single pots also is less care for your plants than separate pots if you use white pots it will pick up your white trim
    • See More
  • Dima

Yellow! Definitely yellow! My first house was the same shade of blue and I lamented over the door color. I took a chance and painted it a beautiful sunny yellow. I sold the house almost 19 years ago and the front door is still the same color! It puts a smile on the face of everyone who comes in.

• Susan

I like a silver, gray-blue. Or coral.

• Dar1395900

Butter Yellow (not margarine)

• Laurie

Print out the picture and then cut out the paint chip cards to place over the door in the picture - or color with markers - it will give you a good visual. Personally, I would go with an eggplant or a darker blue that tends toward gray - it will be a good background and won't compete with plantings in the front.

• Alice Shockley

Sounds crazy, but I like the color of the pumpkins in front of the house. So maybe a pumpkin-y or burnt orange. Something different.

• Marion Nesbitt

@Alice Shockley Like these orangy, orangy-red colour suggestions. Not enough contrast, in my opinion only, for yellow.

• Mary Locke

Pale yellow.

• Non1438716

You have received some great ideas. I painted my front door orange, and have never regretted it. I love it every time I look at it.

• Bonnie

I love your house, very cute! I would use a bold royal blue, or a darker shade of blue from your siding.... Of course, I think the white door is very pretty but if you're looking for something that pops your curb appeal I would stain or paint the front railings and stair risers white. The dull weathered wood is what really needs a facelift the most.

• Beverly Parsons

The blues would be vey pretty!

• Dee Rush

I would use a deep dark blue, or go completely crazy and do it barn red.....

• Daw613667

Leave as is......if you are compelled to paint it.....Chinese Red.....my house is a darker grey/blue and I did red. Definitely NOT ANOTHER SHADE OF BLUE ....there are too many shades of blue and it would be very difficult to get it the same hue....besides, blue fades MORE than any other color.

• Cheryl @ Artzzle

Dagmar: So have you decided yet ... if not ... when? Excited to see your final results :) Have a great weekend.

• Sue Sanders

The front door should be a focal point and not blend with the house. I would paint it a burnt orange. Eyes should be drawn to the entry.

• Sherie Walden

I would love it INA barn red. Very welcoming.

• Pat880866

A brighter shade of the blue would be my choice, or a yellow.

• Leslie

Lime green or yellow

• Joan

Yellow!

• Faidra Ford

RED!!!

• Lois@Pineridge Hills

Yellow.....

• Queenie bell

Deep blue

• Suzanne Crowther

we are painting our front door we built this house its been 9 years and still doing it but I have just found a rich dark blue almost black but you can see its blue we have a blue colour bond roof and a sand stone coloured brick the plus its steel frame home so the tl will be painted n cream and some areas white it is such a hard choice I love all these idea hubby wants cream !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! me I am an artist love colour so white ?????????????no way lo good luck also why not paint a bit of the colours that you like and see what they would look like can you get a sample pot ????? they cost $6.00 here or mix your own just do a little strip of the colours you like

• E macintyre

Barn red definitely with nice hanging planters with some red flowers.

• Cindy Moore

Yellow!

• Marion Hamilton

SEA BLUE

• Irishkay

How about a dark blue, like maybe cobalt?

• Carol Weldon

Red

• Bonnie Hoffart

I would paint your porch railings white to match the trim. Paint the front door black.

• B. Enne

What did you choose? I like a red door with navy shutters, leaving the other trim white. http://www.glitterandgoatcheese.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Glitter-and-Goat-Cheese-Front-Door.jpg

• Lyn Therese

Red or a cranberry/wine would be a great contrast. A red or cranberry/wine bench and some red flowers in the hanging baskets and some going down the steps. And how about a flower box in the upstairs window with some red flowers........Trim and steps white and black shutters. Hope you post some pics.

• Hobnailgail

A pale yellow and paint the porch railings white. Bring a little sunshine to the front door!

• Mickey Baron

I closed my eyes & pictured the color wheel. I'm with hobnailgail ^ A pale, light, maybe even buttery creamy YELLOW. NOT a bold, sunshine, sunflower... ~Creamier. I think you would love it.

• Lou Ann Newell

I also thought of yellow! Or something like an light orange/spice color like the pumpkins on the porch! I agree to paint the railings white, also. Since it is a door you can change your mind many times!! Good luck and show us the results!

• Betty-Ellen

I like the white but would hang the wreath lower so that the window will show. It looks clean and inviting the way it is. Would also paint the porch and railings white.

• Nicola

Pumpkin or a mustard golden yellow!

• Karen

Take a picture of the house and print it out. Cut out the door. Go to the paint store and put various chips behind the space. You can see how any color would look and might even choose something you hadn't thought of! Then you can come paint my door! 😊

• Karen

Hope this helps! I agree, white could be a little boring , but with this tip, you might be surprised. Happy painting!!!!

• Susan Rogers Garton

Barn red! Nothing pops like that. What I am doing after Halloween!

• Barbara Crofts

I would go a darker blue.

• Hilliriah Jacobs

Red or green. Both colors would pop with that baby blue

• EJ Guidess

It's been along time since u started this- didn't u paint it yet? Want to see the color pic!

• Dorothy

I would paint it navy blue it would look great with the light blue of the house!

• P_m4039201

Bright RED, definitely bright RED!!!!

• CarolynDeline

saw this in Nova Scotia and loved the combo

• K

I would go with a rich orange - paprika color

• Bonnie Woolever

Yellow, or red

• Lin21558230

Bright red or shiny black

• Your comment...