Placeofmytaste
Placeofmytaste
  • Mechanicsville, VA

Decoupaged Terra Cotta Pots

Spring isn't coming very soon this year so I try to add happy colors to my home decor so at least I feel spring while at home:-)
My hubby had this awesome idea to grow yummy Florida oranges at home. Yeah, right?
He found a nice tutorial of how to start the growing process with a single orange seed. Anyway, long story short, he finally had the seeds split and he plant them in terra cotta pots and
decoupaged terra cotta pots, container gardening, crafts, decoupage, gardening, home decor, how to
This was the pot sitting in my kitchen window.
You see what I mean. Not only plain as it could be but he also marked these pots with black marker...even better:-)
I had some pretty paper napkins and mod podge at home and I decided to decoupage these pots.
They turned out absolutely gorgeous.
Now they are part of my dining room decor. Click on link to see full tutorial of how you can make your terra cotta pots pretty.
Placeofmytaste

• Pamela Mackay

Sealing the pots

• Annie Doherty

Hi Pamela I seal mine with a flat varnish, that way the varnish doesn't detract from the design just protects your pots. Using yacht/marine varnish protects your pots whilst outside. I still put mine in a porch area to overwinter due to hard frosts. Good luck with your project :-)

• Linda Dugas

I know this is not really about the actual project you worked on but, I don't have any clay pots; all of mine are plastic. Can mod podge be adhered to plastic pots too? Also, about the orange seeds...do you have a link on how to propogate the orange seeds? I tried to grow something with Lemon seeds and nothing happened...so want to keep trying :) Thanks in advance...Loved your pots !!

• Rhapsodyblue

I want to know about your lemon tree? I have 2 that are almost as tall as me now, after 3-5 yrs. How do you get them to make lemons? I live in Minnesota, so they come inside in the winter....
    • Dina Cotton

I have an orange tree and found myself pollinating it the first year it was ready. The next year I wanted to see if the bees would take care of it and they did. I had noticed they were scarce the first year so I took it upon myself to pollinate them. I just used a q-tip. I bring it in when the weather goes below 50degrees for the season. I also have an avocado tree. I think I will try a lemon one this year. Just Germinate the seed from a lemon. You can clean it off but do not dry it.