How To Create a Large Chalkboard From a Framed Picture

Do you have an old print that no longer works for your decor? You can change it into a high-end looking chalkboard with a weathered frame for pennies and with just a few DIY steps! I love projects like this since they recycle items, are doable for anyone, and are beautiful in their imperfections!
Blog: AnOregonCottage.com
And the easy part? You paint right on the glass - no taking everything apart! What this means is you can transform {or look for at thrift stores} a nicely framed print, the kind with a finished paper backing, and be able to keep the nice backing.
I had a 20-year-old framed print that had seen better days - it no longer fit our style and the frame, while a great size and shape, was full of dings and dents with a dated speckled paint technique.
You'll want to start by painting your frame any way you'd like. I created a Restoration Hardware type of weathered wood looking frame using simple acrylic craft paints and a dry-brushing technique (more details on my blog, as always!).
After painting the frame, simply apply a regular flat black paint (did you know it works just as well as official "chalkboard" paint?) with a foam brush right on the glass, and then condition.
After hanging, all that's left is to dream about all the ways you can use this in your home - need a menu board? Welcome for guests? Seasonal or inspirational quotes?
Grab an old picture from your stash or a second hand shop and make a chalkboard today - oh, they make incredible gifts, too (think weddings - I can't imagine a newly married couple not loving this!).
Tutorial can be found at my blog url below:

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

• Shirley Louma

What do you mean when you say you "prime" it after you paint it?

• Patty

Patty
    Could I use black craft paint?
    Thanks
  • Mea19521207

You say "condition" after painting it with flat black paint. How do you "condition" it?

• Sharon Barbagallo

Ive made chalk boards for years when my children were small. I thiink "condition" might be preparing the surface for easy writing. I would always take a piece of chalk, turn ut on its side, and rub chalk all over the finished surface, then just erase it all ( do not wash it off). You could use a dry washcloth if you dont have an eraser. Thats how I "conditioned" my chalkboards.

• Mary

i made one they sure help me to not forget my my dr apointments

• Mary

awsome idea i made one to remind me of my dr appointments

• Terry

I’m doing this!