How To Create a Large Chalkboard From a Framed Picture

Do you have an old print that no longer works for your decor? You can change it into a high-end looking chalkboard with a weathered frame for pennies and with just a few DIY steps! I love projects like this since they recycle items, are doable for anyone, and are beautiful in their imperfections!
Blog: AnOregonCottage.com
And the easy part? You paint right on the glass - no taking everything apart! What this means is you can transform {or look for at thrift stores} a nicely framed print, the kind with a finished paper backing, and be able to keep the nice backing.
I had a 20-year-old framed print that had seen better days - it no longer fit our style and the frame, while a great size and shape, was full of dings and dents with a dated speckled paint technique.
You'll want to start by painting your frame any way you'd like. I created a Restoration Hardware type of weathered wood looking frame using simple acrylic craft paints and a dry-brushing technique (more details on my blog, as always!).
After painting the frame, simply apply a regular flat black paint (did you know it works just as well as official "chalkboard" paint?) with a foam brush right on the glass, and then condition.
After hanging, all that's left is to dream about all the ways you can use this in your home - need a menu board? Welcome for guests? Seasonal or inspirational quotes?
Grab an old picture from your stash or a second hand shop and make a chalkboard today - oh, they make incredible gifts, too (think weddings - I can't imagine a newly married couple not loving this!).
Tutorial can be found at my blog url below:

15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

• Shirley Louma
    Shirley Louma

What do you mean when you say you "prime" it after you paint it?

• Patty
    Patty

Patty
    Could I use black craft paint?
    Thanks
  • Mea19521207
    Mea19521207

You say "condition" after painting it with flat black paint. How do you "condition" it?

• Katjhy
      Katjhy

Conditioning a chalkboard is very simple. With a piece of white chalk laying flat against the board (the long way, not from the end you usually write with) run the chalk up and down the board until it is covered with chalk.

Then erase the board. It is now condioned. You can now use your chalkboard.

• Mary
    Mary

i made one they sure help me to not forget my my dr apointments

• Mary
      Mary

awsome idea i made one to remind me of my dr appointments

• Terry
    Terry

I’m doing this!