Seven thirty three
Seven thirty three
  • Saint Albans, VT

Seashell Wind Chimes

Are you a beach bum? No, seriously! Do you love to hang out at the beach on family vacations? Do you or your kids collect tons of sea shells and bring them home where they just sit in a bucket? How about making something cool from those shells that can inspire a memory of your relaxing vacation every time you walk by it... or hear it clinking in the breeze?
Go ahead! Take those forgotten seashells and turn
seashell wind chimes, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling
The finished product!
If you didn't find the perfect starfish on vacation pop over to a craft store and purchase one for under $3. Bring it home and drill through the center and each end of the 5 points with a small drill bit.
Drill through the center of each seashell and the sea glass.
The next step is to thread the seashells and glass onto fishing line. I added three shells and three pieces of glass per strand. Once you thread a piece on, knot a few times to keep the piece in place. Thread the next piece and continue. I threaded 4 strands this way. For the middle strand I only used the sea glass. TIP: Make sure to use shells that are large enough that they can reach the next strand and clink together! Now attach your five strands to your starfish and you have a beautiful memento!
Seven thirty three

• Dian

Seashell wind chimes - what drill bit did you use on the shells??? I keep shattering my shells when I try to do this.

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

I did too! I'm either not holding the bit straight but can I send you my shells and sea glass to drill for me? Lol

• Kathy

If you make it, keep it indoors. If you hang the starfish outside it will become black with mildew and there is no way to clean it.

• Leslie

We had enough sand dollars to make Christmas decorations with. Bought some shells like the ones shown wrapped them with sage green and cream colored ribbon. Untraditional, but totally our style!!