No More Red Plastic - A Storage Unit Up-cycle

$5
1 Month

I have kept old furniture from a lifetime ago, always trying to re-use it over the years. I had this particular piece for over 22 years. It was a storage unit for my kids' toys and such. But after so many years I had grown tired of the look.
no more red plastic a storage unit up cycle, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
As you can see, it would have been perfect for a kids room, but I have teens and young adults. Anyway, it was time for a change. I wanted to put it under a desk I have and use it for storing boxes and things, but it had to be nice enough to match the black and wood decor of the room. I also wanted to remove the top shelf so that if I needed to store bulky items there would be room for that on top. Here is what I did. I placed two pieces of wood in the back for added support and then painted them black, to match with the look I was after.
Then because I was feeling crazy I decided to go for a rustic look and wrap the shelves in twine. And so I wrapped....
And wrapped.... And then I ran out of twine.... A trip to the store for some more twine, and then more wrapping.... (This was of course tedious so I stretched it out time-wise.)
I'm only posting so many of these pictures, because after all that work, well, I certainly won't be doing any more wrapping anytime soon. I might as well preserve the memories. I banished the red plastic, and gave it a more contemporary look, so now it will not be shy to hang out in my living room. This is by far the longest I have taken on a project ( all that wrapping ). What do you think, was the end result worth it? To see the finished project please visit my blog at the link below.

• Lots of twine
  • A piece of wood
  • Black acrylic paint

Mary - The Boondocks Blog

• YLDesigns

I live in Texas and all that twine would just be a hiding place for bugs....the upcycling idea is good though...I would use wood to replace the shelves and then paint the entire unit.

• Mary - The Boondocks Blog

Thank you. I have been lucky to not have had any bugs taking up residence in there. But it is food for thought. Maybe I should go and check?