Under Counter Paper Towel Holder

$5.00

In redoing our island (you can read more about that process here: (http://www.lessonsfromthelake.com/the-kitchen-island-reveal/ ), we removed a cook top that had "dummy" drawers underneath it. I HATE having paper towels on the counter so we added an under counter paper towel holder!
Also in the process of re-doing the island we had removed 2 banks of drawers. We were able to use one of those drawers, reconfigured, for the paper towels holder.
If you don't happen to have extra drawers lying around here is another Hometalker's post on building drawers: (http://www.hometalk.com/3129278/under-cabinet-drawers)
Basically the bottom was removed from the front of the drawer to allow space for the paper towels. A piece of wood was added a few inches back to create a space to store more paper towels. It holds 2 rolls perfectly.
We cut an opening in the side of the drawer in which to place a dowel. We originally cut it too low and the paper towels hung down too far for the drawer to close.
We just nailed a scrap of wood across it to raise the paper towels. You can see it in this picture- it is the ugly horizontal piece!! It has since all been painted and it blends in just fine.
Besides you only see it if you change the paper towels and trust me, I'm the only one who sees it! ;}
The ends of the drawer front were all that was kept of the original drawer front. This helps the pull out to blend with the rest of the cabinets.
It really wasn't as hard as we had anticipated and I am so glad we did! I am loving our under counter paper towel holder!
Come over to the blog for all the details and also see how we added some drawers under where the stove top used to be!

Caroline

• Cwc3096759

I found the paint in a paint +primer, what finish did you use? aLao what prep did you do for this paint?

• Caroline

Your prep depends what your cabinets are like- mine were highly varnished so I sanded and primed. I used a satin finish paint. Good luck!

• Puchi

Can you please provide the inside/interior width dimensions of your paper towel drawer? Also, I was not able to access your blog site. Thank you.

• Jackie Byrd

Love this idea. I've always hated the paper towels sitting on the counter, this is a great solution. I get how to cut the two vertical lines for the opening where the dowel will go but how did you make the horizontal cut?

• Pamela Norton Waggoner

You could also just drill holes for the dowel to slip through instead of cutting that slot in the drawer...easier to do.

• Carol Cole

Brilliant, Brilliant brilliant, I love it, what a great job