$2 Flea Market Find Becomes a Serving Table for the Front Porch

While shopping at a local flea / antiques market, I came across an old jar filled with a beer cap collection. I loved the jumble of colors and wanted to do something with them. I had no idea what, but for $2 I'd figure something out. It came to me when I ran across an old tray in my pantry. No before pics of the tray, sorry, but I spray painted a pretty leaf green. Next step, something for a base. An odd TV dinner tray, (also stashed in the pantry) to the rescue. I removed the top and spray painted the base a pretty peacock blue / teal color.
Now for the fun part. I glued the beer cap collection in a random pattern over the base of the tray, and knew I had a winner. The last step will be to pour a thick polymer over all. Tah Dah! A new beverage server for the screened in porch.
My husband, wanting in on the action, attached the tray to the base for me.
This pic is a little fuzzy, but shows another angle.

13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas

• Becky
    Becky

WOW! What a cute idea. Not a question just a comment.
  • Eva Mather
    Eva Mather

How many bottle caps do you need for the tray
    • Laurali M
      Laurali M

thanks for standing in the gap for me Joyce , you are absolutely right it does depend on the size of your surface. I apologize Eva, for not seeing and responding to your question before now....computer issues

• Susan
    Susan

I tried this with an old plastic tray I had. I poured Mod Podge over the caps and let it dry but the Mod Podge turned an orangish/yellow. I did it in layers. Any ideas why this happened? I love the way yours turned out. What did you used to seal yours?

• Laurali M
      Laurali M

Hi Susan, I used a 2 part polymer that I purchased at Lowe’s (about $20) and followed the directions. I was a little anxious but it was actually pretty easy

• Keely
    Keely

Cute
  • Maude  LaFountain
    Maude LaFountain

I have a box that is 16 x 16 x 10 that is filled to the top with bottle caps ...my friends drink a lot of beer...lol....and they save me the caps ..anyway I was thinking about putting them on an old Singer sewing table but I kinda like this little table instead,,,it looks awesome ....and as for the tray I have a solid wood one that I got at a yard sale pretty cheap ..$1.00 and that would be just perfect for this project ...yep I have the fold up tray table also so I got all I need except the POLYMER...which I can get next time I go to town ...thanks for posting your awesome tray ....
    • Laurali M
      Laurali M

Thank you for your kindness Maude, I know your table will be fantastic! I hope you enjoy making it as much as I did>