Noting Grace
Noting Grace
  • Columbia, TN

Creating Custom Artwork for Pennies Using Old Dictionaries

$5

My cute Plantation Desk needed some artwork to give it some pizazz, but our budget was tight. Here's how you can create your own artwork for just pennies using what you have in your home!
creating custom artwork for pennies using old dictionaries, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
I had an old frame collecting dust in our attic. I disassembled the frame and made sure to carefully separate the mat from the picture to reuse it.
When I go junkin', I'm always drawn to old books, and I've collected quite a few Dictionaries along the way!
This was an Encyclopedia of Dictionaries and it had definitions divided out by categories.
I carefully removed the page using an Exacto knife and cut the page from the binding.
I made sure to find a piece of cardstock that fit the dictionary page since the page itself is flimsy.
I printed a test page of the image I wanted to use to make sure it lined up.
Next, I printed out the image to the dictionary page and pasted it to the cardstock. Then you just assemble your frame and hang it.
I paired the photo with a stack of Dictionary Books and a vintage copper desk lamp.
It took only 30 mins and was super easy.
For more details and other projects like this, be sure to visit my blog at www.notinggrace.com Or you can follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/notin.g.race
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 19, 2018 11:43 PM - More info
Noting Grace

• Gia Mesler

I love this but can't figure out how you printed the key image onto the dictionary page. Did you use the actual dictionary page in your printer?

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

@ Gia 😀Yes, she loaded the actual dictionary page into her printer in lieu of normal paper, printed the desired image directly onto the dictionary page, then once printed, she then adhered that finished print onto the card stock because on its own was too flimsy. Framed and hung.

I think you’re getting hung up on the pictures she posted of her “test print” of the key. She was simply showing that she had done a test print to make sure her image would print onto the dictionary page the way she wanted it but Just by looking at the pictures I can see how you are getting confused if you’ve never done this before! Even reading it twice I was having trouble with why she posted a picture of the image test print as I even thought it was used some how but she just wanted to show that step was important to make sure it didn’t print off center but how she wanted it to look in it’s finallity. But I print on random stuff all the time for mixed media pieces I create.. she just has a different writing style! But great ideas and I love how quick and easy this is to do and it looks like something you’d special order! Great tutorial and I can wait to try this!

• Michelle Ferri

Such a cool idea! And so easy even I could do it! Where did you get the images to print on the book pages?

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

@ Michele 😀 girl, You handled that great! Lol sometimes you just have to spell stuff out 🤦🏻‍♀️

You're better than me! I just had to say that.

• Carol

There are a few steps missing! Where did you find the images? What did you use to print the images on? How did you transfer the image to the dictionary page
    PS It is okay to repur old books...it is even okay to throw them out!

• Cricket B Wood

Be nice.
      We use the page we printed the image on.(There are zillions in old books in the church closets) Then print the page from a dictionary or other book on top of that same page. It will make the image appear translucent.
      Hope you enjoy this as much as my 3rd grade classes do. 😊😁