A Nautical Look for a Handmade Table

I enjoy challenging myself to create new pieces of furniture using up cycled materials—items other people might just throw away. Pallet wood is a popular look right now and is one of my favorite materials to work with. I especially like to use pallet wood for tabletops like I did on this table I built last week.
a nautical look for a handmade table, painted furniture, pallet, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
The frame of the table used to be the casement around an old window. I removed the window for another project, but did not want to throw the casement away. I thought it was the perfect size for an end table.
I started this project by removing the wood slats from the pallets and cutting to fit the space. I collect pallets all year round and let them sit out back behind our shop until the wood is nice and weathered.
Once the pallet wood was mounted to the window frame, I needed legs to make it into a table. I just happened to have some handy. (Table legs are something else I never throw away. You never know when you can make something out of them!)
Since the pallet wood weathered so beautifully, I decided leave it in its natural state and give this table a nautical look. I wrapped the table legs with jute rope and glued it in place. The glue dries clear.
Then I panted the frame with American Paint Company‘s dark blue color called Born on the 4th. I wanted the blue to be even darker to contrast against the pallet wood so I also applied APC’s Black Glaze over it.
Here’s the finished table.
The parts to this table all could have ended up in a landfill somewhere. Instead, they look like they have always been together and will make a stylish and functional table for somebody. Please visit our blog www.AllThingsNewAgain.net for more DIY projects, tips and tutorials. And if you are ever in Leesburg,VA, please stop by our shop All Things New Again. Our coffee pot is always on and we would love to see you.

Courtney @ All Things New Again

1 comment