Copper Rain Chain Succulent Planter

I spotted a copper rain chain and thought of how pretty it would be with plants in it. A fabulous succulent planter. Fast forward two hours later, the help of a lot of little hands and two eight year olds ‘directing’ me on how I should have tackled this project, I finished it all up and prayed that the succulents would survive.

Materials:

• Copper Rain Chain
  • Succulents (I used the super small plants in 2″ containers)
  • Cheesecloth
  • A Garden Hook or something to hang the chain from Potting Soil (I used postting soil for cactus and succulents, helps the water drain better)

Directions:

Unwrap packaging and lay all pieces out. Cut a small piece of cheesecloth out and press to the bottom of the copper container. This is used to let water pass, but keep the soil in. Put a tiny amount of potting soil in on the cheesecloth. Add plant and fill in extra space with potting soil.

Add hook into one side, thread through the above container and hook into the opposite side. Hang in desired location

For more detailed instructions and photos, click over to the blog post!

Two Thirty~Five Designs

• Gra27294209

I love this project I think I just may have to try this I love to decorate my yard and I adore succulants !

But with these in the rain wont it be to much water?

Thanks for your Idea!

• Rory McBean

Succulents don't like a lot of water. My rain chain (sans plants) gets rain from my roof, and the rain water hits those little cups with a lot of force; enough to drive the plants and soil out of the containers.

Have you had that happen?

• Jane Doe

She's using an item usually used in the rain but using it for a different purpose, i.e. the succulents, so it will be in a place appropriate for succulents.

• Lainey

So cute! Are you able to provide a longer view of the final look (i.e., from side view instead of from the top)?