Copper Rain Chain Succulent Planter

I spotted a copper rain chain and thought of how pretty it would be with plants in it. A fabulous succulent planter. Fast forward two hours later, the help of a lot of little hands and two eight year olds ‘directing’ me on how I should have tackled this project, I finished it all up and prayed that the succulents would survive.

copper rain chain succulent planter, container gardening, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, succulents

Materials:

• Copper Rain Chain
  • Succulents (I used the super small plants in 2″ containers)
  • Cheesecloth
  • A Garden Hook or something to hang the chain from Potting Soil (I used postting soil for cactus and succulents, helps the water drain better)

Directions:

Unwrap packaging and lay all pieces out. Cut a small piece of cheesecloth out and press to the bottom of the copper container. This is used to let water pass, but keep the soil in. Put a tiny amount of potting soil in on the cheesecloth. Add plant and fill in extra space with potting soil.

Add hook into one side, thread through the above container and hook into the opposite side. Hang in desired location

For more detailed instructions and photos, click over to the blog post!

Two Thirty~Five Designs

• Jessica Zeron

Does the rain have any effect on the dirt of the plant? Can it still survive? Really want to try this idea..Can you post a video of how it looks and sounds with rain?? Please

• Gloria

I purchased 2 rain chains at Hobby Lobby-not expensive. I love the sound of the rain flowing through and believe me, it really flows. I would suggest not hanging this in place of a downspout but hanging it away from it.

• Cherie

I'm just curious if the water will run through or will the plants be sitting in water after it rains? Wouldn't want the roots to rot

• Patty

I don't think you'd still use it as a rain chain,would you? A lot of rain coming off a gutter could destroy the plants. Maybe hang it from somewhere where it gets regular rain instead of a gusher.

• Gra27294209

I love this project I think I just may have to try this I love to decorate my yard and I adore succulants !

But with these in the rain wont it be to much water?

Thanks for your Idea!

• Ivory

Beautiful results.yes, I would love to give this project a try this summer. Thank you!

• M. K. M.

GET OUT!! Lol! I have the exact same copper rain chain and have them hanging from the ceiling on both sides of the sink area. Watering is so easy. I just put a bowl underneath when I water them and he water trickles down