How To Keep Squirrels Out Of Planters

Every time we plant fresh new flowers in our planters and window boxes, it seems the squirrels dig them out. We are told they are looking for bulbs which make a tasty treat in a squirrel's world. When we put out pansies last week, we sprinkled the soil with red pepper flakes, and the squirrels haven't touched the plants - not even once.
how to keep squirrels out of planters, flowers, gardening, go green, pest control, pets animals
These beautiful flowers seem to shout, "Come dig me up," because that's what always happens to our planters and window boxes. We just sprinkled a liberal amount of the pepper flakes on top of the soil, and the squirrels have stayed away.
You can see the flakes there under the leaves and blossoms.
Using pepper flakes has many benefits: They are inexpensive, easily found, non-toxic, eco-friendly, and easy to use. This gardening tip is as good as the one we shared about slugs a few years ago. The link to that one is on our blog.
The 2 Seasons

• Vikki Glass Flinn

squirrels are chewing the paint off my deck rails and bannisters....I've used Irish Spring and cayenne pepper, but they keep chewing....what will stop them?? ANYONE??
    • Lks27901638

I have used essential peppermint oil, to keep squirrels out of a container that holds bird seed. I put it in a spray bottle.
  • Daw24856150

What is your solution to get rid of slugs and snails?
    • Ltl29256085

Put out a disposable pie tin or plastic plant base with (cheap) beer... about 1/2 in full near the plant in the evening & it will attract many slugs to it & dispose of it in the morning
  • Smp28377590

Can this be used for bird feeders?

• Kar24317699

i'm getting ready to try moth balls, which was recommended to me for both deer and squirrel issues. i'm thinking the moth balls may work - they really stink!
  • Heidid64

Thank you so much!! This is my first year growing herbs in containers outside. They seem to like the parsley and basil. I'm going to try the pepper flakes. Hopefully it will do the trick!