Vintage Screen Door Given New Life!

$85.00

I've been searching for an old screen door to replace my wooden pantry door for months! Found this beauty at an architectural salvage store for only $60! Sold!!
It has potential!! And great detail!!
Once I got it home, I carefully removed the trim from the back side so that I could remove the old screen. There were A LOT of nails and staples!
The next step was deciding what color I wanted to use and painting ALL the pieces! I chose a barn red color!! Perfect for my house! I used some red paint that I already had as it didn't take much! I did paint both sides though!!
I chose to replace the screen with chicken wire for a more farmhouse look and because my dog likes to ruin screens! I stapled the chicken wire to the back side of the door and replaced the trim with small finish nails!
After removing the old, very heavy solid wood door.... The next step was the hardest! Hanging it on the hinges by myself. I could've used an extra set of hands, but somehow made it work. I did have to use my jigsaw to trim a little off one side at the bottom to make it close properly! After that, I attached a new handle and it was done! What do you think?? Follow along as I complete many more projects in my "new" old house! www.facebook.com/martyslists
Before and after!!

Martyslists

• Karen Pullen

Is there a gap at the top between the door opening and the screen door itself? Just wondering as I'm wondering if I can find a vintage door to fit a modern opening! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Cathy Waterstradt

Love it. Also you could use the door for extra space and hang utensils, measuring spoons, cups ect. Small items to free up space in drawers and such.