Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atascadero, CA

Salvaged Wicker Basket Turned Planter

Here is another project for getting my patio up to snuff for some major barbequing this spring & summer!

salvaged wicker basket turned planter, container gardening, flowers, gardening, repurposing upcycling

Just the other day, when scrounging through the GoodWill Outlet, I found this cute (and very solid) wicker basket (or maybe hamper).

Time to line the basket with a common, but handy kitchen trash bag.

Once I filled her up with potting soil, I was ready for plants.

Not finished yet but looking good!

My little plants are so pretty and vibrant!!

Geraniums, kalanchoe, lamb’s ear and a hen n’ chick succulent…lots of texture and subtle color variations. I can’t wait for them to fill in!

Now time to hide the trash bag :)

After tucking it in, I layered on some moss….you can vary the look by using lanscape rocks, tumbled glass, or standard mulch…sky is the limit!

This cutie has added some nice detail to my patio….things are starting to look good! Phew!
Such an easy DIY to do for your patio!

Remember to get outside and play in the dirt! And remember, any vessel can make for a creative and really adorable planter.

We are having so much fun Zestin’ our yards!!

~Chanda

• Potting soil
  • Wicker basket
  • Trash bag
Zest it Up

• Kathy Kalt

Am I missing something? Did you punch some drainage holes in the plastic bag ?
    Also, do you place the planter in a saucer for the extra water that seeps out the bottom?

• Zest it Up

Hi there! We actually only used the plastic bag that you see which holds the water pretty well!

• Lee

I had found a similar wicker basket and I had a sprouting potato. I took both along with top soil and peat moss to a sunny spot outside. I cut the potato in pieces and set in the bottom covered with soil about four inches. Watered and walked away When I could see the leaves poking out I covered with more soil, again when the leaves showed I covered with more soil continueing this to top of basket. Then I continued watering till fall when the plant was dieing back. I removed the soil and--Under all that soil was enough potatos for a couple of meals!! And were delicious! The basket was trashed as expected and I saved the soil for smother season

• Ann Eichenberger

The planter could have improved considerably by spraying it with a dark green black color or very dark green spray paint.

A couple of the wicker projects could have benefited from additional coats of spray paint, especially the red ones. Wicker always takes more coats than one expects