DIY All-Natural, Non-Toxic Bug Spray Using Essential Oils

Now that the warm weather is here, bugs are beginning to invade! Eek! I noticed while sweeping my front porch the other day that ants were crawling all over this plant in my garden. I was prepared, though!
I mixed up a few minty essential oils with witch hazel and water in a spray bottle and went to town! Here's how they were crawling all over the plant before I sprayed..
.. and here's what it looked like after!
I went ahead and sprayed the remainder of my plants, my porch border, my window ledges and my door frame.
My porch smelled amazing, and I'm so excited to use an all-natural bug spray to repel bugs! You can alter your recipe to include oils particular to bugs you're looking to get rid of. Below you'll find a handy chart of oils that work to repel particular bugs.
Find out exactly how I made this bug spray recipe using the link below!
Lisa @ CrazyAdventuresinParenting

• Cin6400560

Do you spray these blends on or around the plants? Thank you

• Paula H

Do you have a formula/cure for musty smelling basements?

• Aunt Sha

I had that issue with an old basement. After I got it dried out, I invested in a strong, bonding type water proof paint. Kilz brand is also supposed to be good to smoke odors (strong, lingering) so that could be a consideration. Good luck!

• Molly 16

Try using a dehumidifier. We ran one pretty constantly in our basement and it never smelled.

• There is a blend that works wonders for funky smells that's called Purification. I'd try that!

• Honee Touble

Can I make this spray to spray in my apartment?

• Cheryl Benton

I have something that is eating the leaves on m my Bouganvillea. Can't see them as the eat the leaves at night?? Wondered what I could do to kill them?

• Hmm, I think peppermint would be your safest bet to try for that, given peppermint is listed on every one above, haha. If peppermint doesn't work or it helps but not fully, try adding cedarwood and then lemongrass. I've also heard dish soap can help?

• DOC

I JUST PUT FRESH PINE AND CEDAR CHIPS IN MY FLOWER BEDS. SHOULD THEY BE TREATED FOR TERMITES?

• DOC

Do you have any suggestions on what to use for termites. I would like it to be natural if possible. As you might know we also have a big ant problem here in FL.

• Linda

What about head lice. My granddaughters get it every year

• Chrystal Russell

Ponytails and hairspray. Good luck went through the same thing

• Ake21390713

Spray bottle mixed 1 part tea tree oil, 2 parts water. also add peppermint oil if desired for better aroma. Sprayed on hair daily before school. My girls (long hair) never had lice.
    • Viv

Herbal Essence Shampoo..wash hair daily! My daughter never once got head lice at school/camp and she had long hair! She was exposed to it numorous times! :-)
      Vivian Atha

• Janet Ziranski Bacon

Thank you for putting together this list. Is it safe to spay cloth furniture and rugs with these solutions? Do you have any suggestions for roaches?
  • Pat

Is there any kind of essential oil you can use of you find a tick on your skin to release it?
    • Judy

peppermint oil

• Lynne Lowden

Any kind of oil will work, even vicks vapor rub. Just cover the tick with the oil, make sure to cover the hole in their rear end and the tick will let go and back out. They can't breath when you cover them so they have to let go. I do the same with fleas when I catch one on me. But they will try to swim out of it so watch and keep them covered.

• Doris Vickers

what essential oil will get rid of moles in my yard?
    • Nancy

I heard it is caster oil and dawn dish soap. I can not say it works for sure but I think it might have. I did put an empty pot over his hole and he might not have left but he did go a bit crazy trying to get out, and that some how made me feel better
  • Darkev

Thank you for posting this!

• Sharon Hoover

Can all eo's be used on all plants? Vegetables, flowers etc...

• Dawn Gustavson

Do you mix all the oils listed to repel the bugs of your choice?