Teacup Lamp Tutorial

Now before we start let me say, I'm not the first person to have made a teacup lamp and I'm sure that I won't be the last... This tutorial is how I figured out the best way to make a stacked teacup lamp.
Techniques can always be developed and tweaked! But I hope this helps give you the foundation to build your very own stacked teacup or even teapot lamp!
Epoxy teacups to their saucers.
I've found the best epoxy comes with a mixing dispensing tip. Work quickly but cleanly. Brown paper your work surface to protect it from the epoxy!
Using a two part epoxy with a mixing tip epoxy all of your teacups to their saucers to prepare them for drilling. Try to plan your epoxy work sot hat you get the most use out of the included mixing tips... once you stop the epoxy will harden in the mixing tip.
Mark the centres of the bottom of the teacup and saucer sets. Use a sharpie because it won't wash away while you are drilling under water.
Mark all of your teacup and saucer sets and your extra saucers for the bottom of the lamp and to cap off the top teacup.
Using the guide that comes with the diamond coated drill bits, and a cordless drill, drill down through your dish ware. The water cools and lubricates the drill bit as it is cutting down through the teacups and helps to prevent cracking and breaking.
Put the bottom washer, lock washer and nut onto the rod and start stacking the teacups to determine your rod length.
Stack all of the teacups and then put on the top hardware. At this point you have to measure the bottom of the socket and cut down the lamp rod if it is too long.
After you cut the lamp rod down be sure to clean it up with a metal file and test the end with a nut to make sure the threads are all good before you continue on.
Once the rod is sized for your stack thread the rod back up through the bottom saucer and then feed the lamp wiring through the small hole on the saucer and up through the lamp rod. Stack all of the teacups over the rod while epoxying the dish ware into place. Once the cups are all stacked let the epoxy fully set before you finish your lamp.
Thread on all of the top hardware and secure it into place with a few drops of Loctite.
Next we wire! Strip the ends of the wires to ensure a good connection to the lamp socket terminals.
Tie an underwriters knot to prevent the wiring from being pulled back down through the lamp. Notice that one of the wires is ribbed, and the other is not. The ribbed wire is the neutral wire and it has to be connected to the neutral terminal which is the silver screw. Wrap the wires around their screws and tighten the screws with a screwdriver.
Put the socket cap over the lower portion of socket and press the socket down onto its base until it clicks in. Then get your harp on, bulb in and shade on!
Plug in your new lamp and light up your life! For the real nitty gritty detail be sure to checkout the Teacup Lamp Tutorial blogpost! :)

The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Feathering My Nest - Lacey Haskell

• Christine Frycz
    Christine Frycz

Where did you purchase your lamp kit?I would love to make this for a friend

• N.c10576362
    N.c10576362

What kind of drill and drill bit did you use? One word, beautiful
    • Ronald Hendricks
      Ronald Hendricks

They're called Carbide tipped or Carbide bits. Also known as "Glass" bits. You can get them at most hardware stores, Lowe's, Home Depot, ACE, etc.

• Bernice H
    Bernice H

This is so sweet! I love it. However it does look delicate..so it needs to be in a place where it won't get bumped,yes? Would you...if doing this again...use a larger base For balance ? 😁