Regrowing Lettuce on My Kitchen Counter!

Inspired by the hometalk blog post about easy things to regrow I went a little crazy and basically every single one of my drinking cups is now holding a vegetable part! So far my greatest success is my lettuce which has been regrowing for about a month and a half and is beautiful. Basically you just cut off the bottoms of the lettuce and stick the root in a cup of water. Shockingly (at least to me who has never grown anything in her life) that flat bottom of the lettuce is a root. Don't have so much water in the cup that the leaves are in it other wise they will rot and change the water every day. That's pretty much it..... So simple!! Please excuse the rediculous amount of pictures in this post. These plants are basically my babies and I, their proud mama. You will also see guest appearances of my other babies; the leeks, and the scallions.
This was about two days after I put it in the water - already starting to pop up in the middle!
5 days after planting!
Two weeks!
Three weeks!
A month :)))
A month and a week
Today and still growing! The best part is you can just pluck leaves off to eat as it grows and it will just grow new ones to replace it. I may plant it in dirt to help it grow sturdier but it seems to be doing fine without the dirt even. Watching it grow was awesome it starts from the middle and then he middle leaves open up to make room for more leaves to grow in the middle and so on!
Some of my other babies :)

Nava Gross Beginsky

• Susan Peterson

Was the "original" vegetable store bought or from your garden? I was wondering if this is possible with store bought produce. ?????
    • Rua23340115

Yes, you can use store bought lettuce, celery, onion or cabbage. Whatever grows from a stalk like root. You can also plant them, after they begin to sprout, in some nice fertile organic soil.

Be aware that conventionally grown produce may not sprout for all the reasons we shouldn't be eating it in the first place. I think you will have better luck with an organic, non-GMO, pesticide, herbicide free plant. Growing any kind of plant, veggie, or flower adds a certain dimension to life that simply makes one feel good.

Good luck and happy harvest!
  • Mariann Eiring

Great way to continue to enjoy these vegetables!
  • Tor1480975

I tried this and the lettuce grew to about 1.5" after a month and then started to rot. I also changed to water everyday but was unsuccessful. Anyone have any suggestion?
    • Chris Hale

I found by placing in fridge is best. I use old Styrofoam egg cartons to start then move to cups. I grow green onion and I can't keep up with the growth.