Asked on Apr 14, 2015

What type of caulk will seal a rubber camper roof?

Linda SantoEugenia ReadCheryl
+4

I have a leak in the roof at a side seam and nothing is working. The first rain and it spits from the rubber surface and in comes the rain!! UGH. Will appreciate answers from those other frustrated camper owners. thanks
  • Moxie
    Moxie

is the seam/metal split apart? You may need to repair the seam and calk all the fasteners (silicone) and the paint the roof with the aluminum sealer they make for RV roofs

• Tina Friedmeyer
    Tina Friedmeyer

Butyl caulk is the best thing to use. You can buy it at any rv dealer or lowes and Home Depot. This is what the rv manufacturers use.

• CJ
    CJ

Hi where do you buy the rubber for the roofing? thanks

• Shamrockcamper
    Shamrockcamper

I highly recommend Eternabond tape, made for roofs, but I had a tear in my awning and used it there, that was several years ago, and it is still there as good as the day I applied it. I redid all the seams/calked areas on the top of my trailer with it. Excellent stuff! https://www.eternabond.com/

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

I used regular calking and it sealed real well, but I had to do it every year. If you got water stains on the ceiling, mix in a spray bottle about 2" of bleach few drops of dawn dish detergent, and then fill it with hot water, spray it directly on the stain and it will disappear. I was really amazed how well it worked, seeing the RV store said I wouldn't be able to remove the stains. Good luck

• Eugenia Read
    Eugenia Read

Try Sik-a-Flex Marine grade sealant. It will last a long time and will adhere to any type of material.

• Linda Santo
    Linda Santo

After I sealed everything with caulk and patching tape from the same manufacturer, I coated the entire roof with an elastomeric roof coating (Koolseal is one brand, there are others). It's been quite a few years and NO leaks. I gave it another full coat (no patching needed) a couple of years later. It's a 1980s pop-up and has worked great.