How To Clean Your Front Load Washer

Question: How many of you have ever thought about cleaning our appliances? Admittedly, I never did - until I got a front load washer. After using it a few months, it began to smell. All those months of cleaning nasty workout clothes and food-covered kid's clothes was taking its toll. Luckily, with a bit of cleaning, I had it back in working order in no time.
How long does it take? Depending on how dirty
how to clean your front load washer, appliances, cleaning tips, how to, laundry rooms
For basic cleaning, fill the bleach container in your detergent drawer and run the hottest cycle available. Many HE washers have a Clean Cycle. If so, use this cycle. I recommend doing this once a week/every other week depending on much you use your washer.
For those nasty, stinky washers, do the above. Once completed, mix 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup water together and pour into the detergent compartment in the detergent drawer. Next, add 2 cups of white distilled vinegar to the washer drum. Run the hottest cycle and allow the baking soda and vinegar to do it's magic.
Once finished, scrub the inside of the drum with a non-abrasive sponge (the blue ones) and clean the inside seal of the washer. The seal is where the majority of the nastiness from the front load washers come from.
Now that you've removed the gunk from your front load washer, it's time to keep it clean. This is the easy part. After each laundry batch, wipe the inside of the seal, removing any water or debris. Next, leave the door open for a few minutes to allow the washer to air out. Finally, clean around the detergent drawer to wipe up any spillage that may have occurred.
The Rozy Home

• Bonnie Camardelle

I have a whirlpool front load and I clean this all the time. You open where the detergent goes and pull that out and see all the mole in the back of the machine. I hate it I am going back to the old fashion kind. Who ever heard of taking your washing machine totally apart to clean it. This is supposed to be new technology . If you have an old machine with an old machine keep them. We only have to wipe that down and cleaned inside whenever. The new technology is crap.

• Linda Jones

After using I always leave the detergent drawer and the machine door open to air out. I have never had any problems.

• Roseann conway

How do you get rid of the mold and mildew?

• Danielle

Using hot water with bleach is pointless because hot water decomposes the active ingredient in the bleach and makes it useless. http://www.info.gov.hk/info/sars/en/useofbleach.htm I will say I have had front load machines for over 7 years now and never had a problem with mold or mildew. I leave the door cracked unless the machine is in use, I soak out the detergent drawer in hot water once or twice a year, and if the gasket gets any crud on it I spray it down with a homemade vinegar cleaner and wipe clean with a rag. Wouldn't have any other kind of machine!

• Lee Schiffel

Combining vinegar and baking soda, which is what you are doing as the wash cycle begins, neutralizes both the vinegar and the baking soda. You end up with a mixture that has all of the cleaning power of plain water.