Farmhouse Style Table Makeover for $20

$20

When we were putting the finishing touches on our Dining Room Makeover, one thing really stood out. Our Dining Table didn't match this house. I have been swooning over the tables I see at Restoration Hardware and Ballard Designs, but a new table was not in our budget. Here's how we made over our dining room table for $20 and leftover paint. Here's where we began.
We purchased our Dining Room table on Craigslist for $150 over 4 years ago and decided refinish it.
We chose to refinish the table in a beautiful Mahogany/Cream. We loved the look of the table, but when we put it in our new home, it didn't look quite right.

To see how we recreated this first version, click here.
The original cream color had yellowed making the white more of a buttery cream. It clashed so bad with all the white in the room and trim. Loving the gray wash look from places like Ballard Designs or Restoration Hardware, I used that as my inspiration to turn my Craigslist table into the Farmhouse table of my dreams!
First we had to sand down the top. We sanded the table top and seats of the chairs using an orbital sander and a hand block sander.
On our original table, we added distressing to give the top character. We made sure to keep those intact when we were sanding this second time. This one is my favorite! I took a huge screw and a rubber mallet and banged these marks on several spots on the table. It was a great stress release.
Now for the stain, I wanted to go with a washed, worn look. I had some Valspar Antiquing Glaze on hand and watered it down. I simply just wiped it on and let it soak in. After it dried, you can tell that it's not nearly as dark as when it was wet, so I applied a second coat.
While the top was drying, we lifted the table and began to paint over the cream with white we had leftover from painting our closet interiors. I didn't completely cover it with paint since I knew I would be distressing and glazing the bottom with the same antique glaze.
After a few mistakes, which you can read about on my blog post, we finished the top with a wipe on poly that we purchased. It was a beautiful finish to my worn weathered look I was hoping to achieve.
The chairs were painted with Sherwin Williams Dovetail left over from our Farmhouse Kitchen Remodel. What a contrast of the before and after.
The seats were stained with the same Glaze/Water mixture and poly'd as well. I glazed the chairs to match the weathered look.
I love the variegated effect the wash created. It went from Red Mahogany, to a grayish worn top.
I think the legs turned out beautifully, much like the inspiration piece.
Adding a few farmhouse style elements tie in the vintage items throughout the room like this chicken wire salt and pepper holder with mason jar shakers.
From two toned to Farmhouse, I love the new look of my table and I only paid $20 by using leftover paint and glaze. For more details of this transformation, click the link below and find out the big mistake we made in the process! Be sure to follow me on instagram to see more projects we're creating! www.instagram.com/notinggrace

25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Noting Grace

• T-vocals Ryan
    T-vocals Ryan

Very good job, how did you get in the grooves of the legs on table? Clean and strip them?

• KB
    KB

OMG! Both versions are stunning! Talented, good eye!

• Marie
    Marie

I like the first version I thought it looked stunning. - marie