Repurposed Pediment Into Coat Rack Shelf

Why would a simple project take 5 years to complete? I like to wait for projects to speak to me. I'm not sure if it wasn't talking, or if I wasn't listening. A friend gave me this piece years ago. I stored in in the shed. After all these years I recently figured that I needed to do SOMETHING with it.
repurposed pediment into coat rack shelf, foyer, organizing, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas
This is the before. It had been the top to a china cabinet. My friend decided they wanted less bulk to the top of the cabinet and replaced this piece with some crown molding.
When I get stuck on a piece, I find that it's easier to see what it wants to be once I paint it with some primer. So, I did just that. I mixed up some of my DIY chalky paint primer (made with Plaster of Paris). Painting it white gave me fresh eyes.
I used my trusty Kreg Jig to add an extension board and a shelf, beefing it up a little and making room for some coat hooks.
After adding the new lumber, I gave it all a coat of white paint, then a coat of poly, and finally did a "wash" with some black paint to get this final washed out look.
For the complete tutorial, hop over to My Repurposed Life.
Gail--My Repurposed Life