A Mid-Century Modern Dresser Gets a Facelift

I found a great mid-century modern dresser the other day while out and about. It was the perfect piece for my son's room but desperately needed a makeover! It now has style and is the perfect piece for a teenage boy's room.
a mid century modern dresser gets a facelift, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Here is the before pic. The structure was sound but the finish had deep scratches and had been abused.
Here is the after!
After applying wood filler and sanding it back, the body was smooth and ready for two coats of General Finishes milk paint in the color Coastal Blue.
I used General Finishes Java Gel Stain on the drawers as well as the bottom and feet. It brought back it's original luster and warmth.
It is the perfect piece for a boy's room with its clean lines. The drawers open and close like a dream - fantastic!
After all of the sanding and prepping, the top is now smooth and level. I applied a high performance sealer on top of the paint for durability.
My son and I are both really happy! For all of the wood lovers out there (I am included) - I think this is a great example of keeping the integrity of a piece while adding a modern touch at the same time. :)
The Painted Drawer by Suzanne Bagheri

• Grant

I am looking at a similar dresser. Can you tell me what you paid for it? I'm trying to get an idea for what I should pay, thanks!

• Noni

In rural W Michigan, I paid $50 for one exactly like this. It has some minor damage and a few deep scratches. Is very sound, drawers slide beautifully, and it's worth every penny. It also included the mirror. I have not decided how to restore or re-do this but I dislike MCM and am going to alter the appearance beginning with using bun feet. The rest of the remake is still in development.