DIY Concrete Dining Table Top

$100

I used to be the owner of a very poor, sad, mismatched dining set. I desperately wanted to update our kitchen look with something lighter and brighter. There was only one problem: my children. 2-year-old twins and nice furniture do not make for a winning combination. I knew I would have to go the DIY route on this one.
For about $100 in paint and concrete supplies, I was able to completely change the look of my dining set.
Here's a lovely "before" picture. Do you like the stickers on the bench?!?
I know it's scary, and once you start, you really have to commit. Why? Because you have to basically ruin your surface before adding the concrete. Scuff up your surface really well with sandpaper (I've also seen people use a razor blade on laminate surfaces).
I used Henry FeatherFinish for the table top. You just mix it up with water. A little of this stuff goes a long way. I actually have some leftover, so suggestions for other concrete craft projects are currently being accepted!
Then apply a thin layer of the concrete. I ended up doing three thin layers, letting each dry in between and then sanding. I also painted the table legs, chairs, and bench "Ikea white."
It took over a week to complete, between priming, painting, and concrete. Each step wasn't particularly time consuming or difficult, you just have to be patient and let everything dry.
Here's the final product. I finished the top with a food safe sealer, and boy is it tough! My twins haven't been able to throw anything this table's way that I haven't been able to wipe off with soap and water.
Click over to the blog to see a full tutorial and source list.

The Crazy Craft Lady (Aimee)

• How's it holding up? And chips or cracks? I've seen this product and method done with a few other projects (counter tops) but I have always heard that concrete doesn't bond to concrete well, much less wood. I'd really love to try it though, it looks great. Wonder if there's something different about that particular kind of concrete other than grain size? Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

• Joyce

I am inspired. I love what you have done. Do you think this would work on kitchen cabinets? I had planned to faux granite them, but maybe this would be easier???

• Wyldecent

On counters, yes. On cabinets no because the doors move when opening and closing which, over time will, create cracks or even flaking off. larger. Concrete (regardless of how thick) needs a solid, non-flexible surface (same for tile because grout and tiles can crack). You could try painting it to look like concrete (here's one example: https://www.diypassion.com/2015/10/28/diy-faux-concrete-planters/).

• Ted.brockman

How did you finish the edges in concrete? Thanks.

• Chris Keating-Ingelse

Love! It! I love all things concrete but this redo takes the cake! Fabulous job!

• Tracey Doss

I was going to redo my table top with wood, but since we are replacing all of the counters with wood, I was looking for something different for the table top. I am showing this to my husband. Thank you.