How to Remove Pee Stains (and Smell!) From a Mattress

$1

If you have a young child or a pet in the house, chances are you at some point will have to deal with pee stains on a mattress even if you use a mattress protector. Accidents happen. So be grateful that I have the magic formula for removing those pee stains!
To remove pee stains from your mattress you will need hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, dish soap, lavender essential oil (if you like) and a funnel and a spray bottle.
You'll mix the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, liquid hand dish washing soap, and lavender essential oil all together in the spray bottle. Spin it all together in the bottle a little bit but don't shake it.

Take that spray bottle and spray it all over those pee stained mattresses!
I had two mattresses that were stained (twins) and here are the before.
The other mattress before stain removal.
And after!!
After!! There was still a very slight yellow coloring, but so much better and the smell was gone!
To finish up, let the mattress dry (about one hour) and then vacuum them to get up the gritty baking soda off.

*If you want a FREE Printable version of this cleaning tutorial head over to the blog post! (link at the bottom of this post)*

If you love these type of practical cleaning tips for everyday things, be sure to check out Speed Clean the Deep Clean: A Collection of Time-Saving Cleaning Tutorials and Tips for Busy Moms! It has 50+ cleaning tutorials and tips to help you get every area of your home looking great, including this one!

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Katelyn Fagan

• Darla Davis
    Darla Davis

I’ve been doing this for years and it works. 2 cups hydrogen peroxide, 2 Tbs baking soda and scant tsp Dawn (Dawn is best).

• Em
    Em

Why not purchase a 6 pack of washable mattress protectors that pop in the wash. Nursing homes use them, can buy online, not expensive and last forever. They are 3' square soft pads. Used for a relative for years.

• Mary Mechler
      Mary Mechler
      Just now

This isn't just for mattresses. I have used it on my furniture - lots of pups - and it works perfectly. If you have this problem, you will know that most all commercial products claiming to fix the problem DO NOT work.

• HGH
    HGH

Think this would work OK on carpets?

• Carole White
    Carole White

Great share! Accidents happen, as I've experienced with various pets over the years. Will definitely be using this formula! Thanks for sharing

• Smooches
      Smooches

my little fur boy is now an old man with a sick tum. thank goodness for my spray bottle of peroxide. the color, smell and germs are completely removed fr my rugs. protect hardwood fr peroxide by putting plastic under. beware that peroxide can bleach some fibers

• Patty
    Patty

Thanks so much for this remedy!