Cheryl @ Artzzle
Cheryl @ Artzzle
  • Princeton, MN

A Beautiful Backsplash for $10 and a Little Elbow Grease

Hubs and I are still saving for a glass tile backsplash. But for now, we bought a $10 roll of DUCK Brand adhesive vinyl paper, and went to work in our builder basic kitchen.
a beautiful backsplash for 10 and a little elbow grease, diy, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design
This is an AFTER picture. We also recently re-did our upper cabinets. The final kitchen project will be the lower cabinets that are still the basic orange oak with flat doors.
This is a BEFORE shot of the wooden/formica backsplash. I don't have a good shot from the kitchen, but this same technique is in our bathroom shown here.
When we removed the old wood strip, we discovered it hid a few builder's mistakes. This ugly nearly 3/4" bowed, gap between the wall and the countertop, under the window. The gross, dirty middle area is the gap.
We used LOTS of Goo Gone to loosen up the remaining adhesive on the counter top, and gently scraped it, then wiped up with clean cloth.
We sanded off built up paint layers, patched any bad areas in the wall, and then painted the white area (that had been behind the wooden strip. If we had left it white, that would have been noticeable through the contact paper.
Here's another final result photo. To remedy the gap problem, we painted and applied quarter round cove strips. See full details and more pictures over at our website. Thanks for looking.

Cheryl @ Artzzle

• Debbie

Hi Cheryl, What brand is your small sander? Are you happy with the job it does? If you had to buy another, would you buy the same one? I have been looking at them for a while but since I know absolutely nothing about any kind of power tool, I need to ask for opinions. Also, I'd like to ask if your Duck brand paper was actually labeled a shelf liner? Thanks!

• Cheryl @ Artzzle

Hi, Debbie. Thanks for your comment and questions. Sorry for my delay in answering. I've been working on projects recently, so was away from the computer for a couple of days. 1. The sander is a Black & Decker "Mouse", and I believe the cost was well under $50 range. Yes, I would get the same model again. It fits well in my hand, and offers excellent control. You have to get used to the vibration tickle, but once you use it a few times, it's easy to get comfortable with it. 2. I believe the Duck brand paper WAS labeled a shelf liner, as I researched on line to look it up, and my pattern was in that category. It is much stronger than other adhesive papers I've worked with. By that, I mean it seems heavier quality. We have, and continue to enjoy it's looks and utility. Very easy to clean. TIPS: 1. Note that ANY adhesive vinyl paper will stretch AND shrink. So don't pull or tug on it as you install. 2. Also be aware that AFTER application (a few days to a few weeks) the paper will shrink. BE SURE to overlap your seems a bit when you apply one panel to the next. You should be able to easily overlap by about 1/8 to possibly 1/4 inch, without affecting your pattern match. IF YOU DON'T OVERLAP a bit, you'll end up with seams with the wall beneath, showing through and you don't want that. Let me know how else I can help. Sincerely - Cheryl B.

• Debbie

Thank you, Cheryl. You've been very helpful and answered everything I had questions about. I'm going to order my sander and get to work! Thanks again :-)

• Cheryl

I been looking into this for some time now. Since I live in an apartment any changes I make our temporary & I can't afford to damage the wall. Does contract paper come off cleanly or does it take paint and/or gyprock paper with it?
    • Cheryl @ Artzzle

Hi, Cheryl . . . Cheryl here, too! Nice to see we both spell it the best way, right? LOL. The paper I used was actually shelf line (Duck Brand), and it IS a stronger adhesive than Contact Brand. The stuff I used WILL remove bits of paint if you tug too hard, but should be fine if you gently pull a small area at a time. Another tip would be to check with manager about touch up paint in the wall color, of the space you're doing. If bits do come off, a simple light sanding and quick cover coat shouldn't be difficult, esp. in a smaller area. Otherwise, I'd suggest 1. a decoupage treatment with water based glue (Elmer's) which will wash off. 2. a liquid starch with fabric treatment which can be safely removed or 3. if it's for a small area like backsplash, simply buying a roll of removeable wallpaper.
      NOTE: In the apartments I've used contact paper, the managers/owners have always asked me to leave it up . . . it was a neutral design and they felt it helped when renting next time :D
      Hope this was helpful.

• Suzanne

Love it and the color of upper cabinets; the darker shade to come should be great. The brass canisters introduce another color that somehow just doesn't do your work justice. What would you think of black accessories? I know the work in this. My base cabinets are done but upper ones still waiting. I appreciate your great idea for backsplash. and the cove strips perfect solution.

• Cheryl @ Artzzle

Thanks, Suzanne. I've included 3 Afters pics below, with all done. Also is a B4 pic of the old kitchen.

• Suzanne

Now is see how the two accent colors connect. It all looks so lovely. The color you used on the base cabinets is practical but still lovely and the darker shade anchoriing as they say. I sure wish I had an island. I have a corridor kitchen and hate it. I like your white appliances with the taupe base cabinets for contrast.

• Cheryl @ Artzzle

Thanks, Suzanne. BTW those copper canisters were my mom's so don't want to change them, but your black accents suggestion would look great too. Also, we lived in another rambler years ago and it was a corridor kitchen. I'll see if I can find some pictures. Why don't you visit my website, too? www.Artzzle.com I will start following you here on hometalk too & vice versa if you want. So fun to talk with you. Later - Cheryl B