Living Room Goes From a Cabin to Cottage Fresh

When we bought our house, my husband was a bit confused why I liked it so much. It looked much like a cabin with dark paint colors and lots and lots of oak wood - which he knew was not my style. I assured him, all it would take was a whole lot of paint - and we would feel right at home.
I am always amazed at what a difference color can make. By painting these dark blue walls, it seemed to add square footage to the room instantly!
So many people were horrified at the mere mention of painting all that stain grade wood and the tongue and groove ceiling.
But I think I restored their faith, after they saw the difference it made.
Our new bright and cheery living room cottage feels fresh, and so much more livable. I knew the darkness would get to me if I had left it as it was when we bought it.
The decor and furniture in our living room came together with a mix of thrift store finds, DIY, sentimental hand-me-downs, and all sorts of frugal touches. That is how we roll! Come and read all about the little details and be inspired to create a designer look with just a bit of paint and creativity! I also have a whole lot of other cottage fresh spaces to show you!

Cami Graham

• Jean Darnell

I love this look. I want to paint cabin walls as you have done but my daughter thinks I should leave the open beam ceiling like it is - she loves the wood. How do you think this would look if I left the wood ceiling and just painted the panel walls? I don't think it would work but asking the expert?

• Barbie C

Gorgeous!
  • Diana Deiley

I absolutely LOVE this! Amazing in all sense of the word. You have great vision and faith not to mention ability. I am so glad you did this. I'll bet no one questions your design suggestions ever again!  Thanks for sharing your wonderful project. Enjoy your new home.