Living Room Goes From a Cabin to Cottage Fresh

When we bought our house, my husband was a bit confused why I liked it so much. It looked much like a cabin with dark paint colors and lots and lots of oak wood - which he knew was not my style. I assured him, all it would take was a whole lot of paint - and we would feel right at home.
I am always amazed at what a difference color can make. By painting these dark blue walls, it seemed to add square footage to the room instantly!
So many people were horrified at the mere mention of painting all that stain grade wood and the tongue and groove ceiling.
But I think I restored their faith, after they saw the difference it made.
Our new bright and cheery living room cottage feels fresh, and so much more livable. I knew the darkness would get to me if I had left it as it was when we bought it.
The decor and furniture in our living room came together with a mix of thrift store finds, DIY, sentimental hand-me-downs, and all sorts of frugal touches. That is how we roll! Come and read all about the little details and be inspired to create a designer look with just a bit of paint and creativity! I also have a whole lot of other cottage fresh spaces to show you!

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Perfectly Round Tables
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
TIDBITS

• Jean Darnell

I love this look. I want to paint cabin walls as you have done but my daughter thinks I should leave the open beam ceiling like it is - she loves the wood. How do you think this would look if I left the wood ceiling and just painted the panel walls? I don't think it would work but asking the expert?

• Pmono7690

If this is raw wood that has not been stained, she might want to try a white (or other color) wash. Thin your latex paint with water, and apply with either a roller or I used an old tee shirt.

• Diana Deiley

I absolutely LOVE this! Amazing in all sense of the word. You have great vision and faith not to mention ability. I am so glad you did this. I'll bet no one questions your design suggestions ever again!  Thanks for sharing your wonderful project. Enjoy your new home.
  • David Ernest

Looks great! Loved It.