DIY Wood Floor Installation

15 materials
$2000
3-4 Days
It took us awhile, but we finally decided to pull the trigger on installing hardwood floors in our hallway/loft area upstairs. We decided to keep the bedrooms carpeted for the time being. This was a DIY project, so we were able to save a significant amount of money by not hiring somebody to install the floors for us.
To see more detailed pictures and to read the full tutorial please visit: http://gingerandthehuth.com/2015/04/diy-wood-floor-installation/
We chose 3/4″ x 5″ Handscraped Hickory from Lumber liquidators. We love all the color variation in the boards! It’s hard to believe they’re all from the same type of tree!
We started by ripping all the carpets out. They were in good condition and I had no problem giving them away for free on Craigslist.
We brought the floor inside for 10+ days, stacking it log cabin style, and opening the ends of the boxes to help with air flow
we put our Aquabar vapor barrier down. We used a 500sqft roll from Home Depot
We used a combination of our jigsaw and circular saw for almost all of our cuts. We did use our table saw for a few of the long skinny ripped cuts.
For shorter boards I used a mallet, rag, and prybar to get the job done. For installing slightly bowed boards I used a clamp to reduce gaps.
Voilà! We have wood floors upstairs!
We are very happy with the end result, and would happily do this project again. We actually think this floor was significantly easier to install than our floating laminate we installed in the downstairs.
Ginger & The Huth

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 5 questions

Comments

2 of 20 comments
Next