DIY Magnetic Knife Holder With a Vintage Ruler

I've seen posts about creating your own magnetic knife rack, but I decided to use something a little different for my knife holder. I also figured out a couple of tricks along the way that made this project a success!
I found this massive ruler in the corner of a garage at an estate sale. $1.00? I'll take it! It was painful to cut it, but I have a couple of other projects planned for the rest of the 4 foot ruler, so I think I'm happy with my decision.
Instead of sitting in the corner of a garage, it's now a unique, and functional addition to our kitchen.
1/2" by 1/8" thick neodymium magnets worked perfectly for this project, but boy are they strong.
I drilled holes with a 1/2" forstner bit, and the magnets fit in perfectly. I just continued to drill holes across the entire back, making sure to drill close to the thicknesses of the wood, but not through it.
As I added new magnets to the empty holes, I made sure to cover up the magnets that were already in place. If not, those magnets just wanted to jump right out of their little holes.
Those knives at the back are pretty heavy, but with the amount and type of magnets I used, it's strong enough to hold them!
Check out the full post on the blog!

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Jenny @ Refresh Living

• Linda Lim
    Linda Lim

How did you cover (or what did u use) to the individual magnets to prevent them from "jumping" up from their holes to the neighboring magnets?

• Lor33914481
      Lor33914481

Knives can be heavy and you wouldn’t want one falling off, possibly bouncing on the floor and your frenemy cutting her toe on it now would you, lol!

• Adele DuranGO
    Adele DuranGO

You say you "added" magnets, but I missed HOW. Glue? What kind? If just inserted in the holes, won't they eventually pop out?

• Robyn Garner
      Robyn Garner

I'd just cover them with duct tape. Once in place against the wall there's nowhere to go. With glue you might end up with a magnet sitting too high for the ruler to mount flat on the wall.

• Nancy Ellis
    Nancy Ellis

What brand of kitchen knivesare those?

• April
      April

They look like my Pampered Chef knives...

• C
    C

Best looking knife holder I’ve ever seen

• Karen E Fleischer
    Karen E Fleischer

I love the idea, but I agree you do need to add to your materials list.:

1 - The drill

2 - the type & size of drill bit

3 - the type of sealant or glue to keep the magnets in place