$900 Bright DIY Kitchen Update

$900
4 Weeks

In the beginning it was all blue. The ceiling was blue, the walls were blue, even the tiles were blue. It made me blue. My lacked order; functionality, but most of all, it lacked appeal. Lets face it…It was ugly! You can say it. I did. And to top it off, my budget was ugly.
But where there is a will...and $900 and a little creativity...there is a way.
I bought a house that was a short sale and a bit of dump. But I saw possibilities. Not so much in the kitchen. But I was going to make it work. I tried several times painting the cabinets and covering the countertops with contact paper.
But paint and contact paper couldn't cover up the old dated blue tile. Paint can't hide ugly and disfunction. So I took a hammer to my old 1980s kitchen and saw the light.
I reveal my bright and shiny kitchen equipped with a new tiled back plash and marble tiled countertops. And the best this about it is I did it myself. Given the state of "blue" depression my old blue kitchen and tile back-splash put me in. Who would have thought I’d paint my cabinets blue. But you know what, it just felt right. I am obsessed with blue...but a particular tone.
In a perfect world where money was no object I'd want carrera marble countertops but this isn't a perfect world and money is an object..SOOooo I went with marble tiles for my counters. These days It would appear that tiled countertops are slightly passé but to heck with it. I loved the tiles I found and it was a tiny fraction of the costs of the countertops I'd been checking out in showrooms. And to tell you the truth...I quit like the outcome.
What would a kitchen be if it didn't have a coffee station?
The historical chalkboard wall (the wall everyone who enters my home has to leave a note on) needs a fresh start. Maybe I'll tackle that next.
So what's next? I still have an unfinished bar area.

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
ToolBox Divas

• JC

Great makeover!! Did you paint the existing cabinets or get new ones?
  • Valerie Ferguson Davis

I have the same cabinets, absolutely hate them....did you use chalk paint? How many coats? Did you paint the inside of doors as well?

• Linda Vellucci

how were you able to cut the marble to fit??? Also, did you purchase the end pieces so that they are rounded??? Thanks!

• Roxene B

I like how you made the room seem more open by getting the blue off the walls, changing the backsplash and painting the cabinets a softer shade of blue. The yellow dinette table is a perfect pop of color, too. Lovely job!
  • Amazing job. I love that colour of blue too. The little shelf/counter by the bar stools are really cute. Paint the stools ? white and recover with something flowery that picks up your colours would work. Maybe tie it in with your yellow table. Am sure you're already considering all these possibilities.

Luv your blackboard.....