$900 Bright DIY Kitchen Update

$900
4 Weeks
In the beginning it was all blue. The ceiling was blue, the walls were blue, even the tiles were blue. It made me blue. My lacked order; functionality, but most of all, it lacked appeal. Lets face it…It was ugly! You can say it. I did. And to top it off, my budget was ugly.
But where there is a will...and $900 and a little creativity...there is a way.
I bought a house that was a short sale and a bit of dump. But I saw possibilities. Not so much in the kitchen. But I was going to make it work. I tried several times painting the cabinets and covering the countertops with contact paper.
But paint and contact paper couldn't cover up the old dated blue tile. Paint can't hide ugly and disfunction. So I took a hammer to my old 1980s kitchen and saw the light.
I reveal my bright and shiny kitchen equipped with a new tiled back plash and marble tiled countertops. And the best this about it is I did it myself. Given the state of "blue" depression my old blue kitchen and tile back-splash put me in. Who would have thought I’d paint my cabinets blue. But you know what, it just felt right. I am obsessed with blue...but a particular tone.
In a perfect world where money was no object I'd want carrera marble countertops but this isn't a perfect world and money is an object..SOOooo I went with marble tiles for my counters. These days It would appear that tiled countertops are slightly passé but to heck with it. I loved the tiles I found and it was a tiny fraction of the costs of the countertops I'd been checking out in showrooms. And to tell you the truth...I quit like the outcome.
What would a kitchen be if it didn't have a coffee station?
The historical chalkboard wall (the wall everyone who enters my home has to leave a note on) needs a fresh start. Maybe I'll tackle that next.
So what's next? I still have an unfinished bar area.
ToolBox Divas

Questions on this post

Your question...
  3 questions

Comments

2 of 171 comments
Next