DIY Placemat Pillows

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what pillow formation I want to use on our bed in the master. I've been searching online for fabrics and even Etsy for pillow covers. I showed you a while ago the pillow cover I liked at West Elm but it sold out before I could get my hand on it.
I bought three placemats from Target. Two of them I stuffed because they were double sided and they easily became pillows for the master. The third pillow wasn't double sided. It was only one layer so I couldn't just stuff it.
The placemat was 14 x 19 and wasn't quite big enough for my 12 x 20 pillow insert. Using a seam ripper, I opened up all the seams to give me the biggest surface area possible.
Since it was only one layer, I needed another fabric to become the back. I had some extra fabric leftover from an Ikea curtain that I could use. It was about 54 inches wide and each side was finished. This was perfect for an envelope closure. I didn't have any extra zippers laying around so that wasn't an option. I wanted to use what I had.
Since my pillow insert was 12 x 20, I cut my fabric 13 x 20. I was going to go 21 in length so I would have a half inch seam allowance all around, but when I opened the seams, the corners weren't squared. For the white fabric, I just cut it in half width wise to get two even pieces and laid it on my placemat fabric so I could cut it to the same size. I overlapped the finished edges in the middle and trimmed the outsides so they matched the placemat fabric. Once the pieces were all matched up, I pinned the two together to keep them from moving. Make sure you are pinning right sides facing in.
A quick run through the sewing machine to attach the pieces and I was all done. I flipped the pillow cover right side out and inserted my pillow form.
The back has a nice, deep envelope closure.
It looks great with the other two coordinating pillows I made.
It's got a subtle chevron pattern to it and goes nicely with the medallion print of the other two pillows.

The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Andrea

• Janie
    Janie

Great job - love every thing. Where did your other pillows come from?

thank you!

• Ellen
      Ellen

She says that she bought three placemats, two which were stuffable and easy to do for the master bed. Those are the printed pillows you see on the bed.

• Miss Daisy
    Miss Daisy

Love the pillows but where did you get the duvet ? I'm on a fixed income so I have to really LOVE something before I will buy it and I would buy that !

• Mary McDonald
      Mary McDonald

I’ve seen it on Amazon and Wayfair. I’ve debated on getting that actual duvet cover/comforter. But I have sensitive skin and nerve pain so the pinched pleats would bother me. It’s nice along with the pretty pillows

• Janet B
    Janet B

Love it! Beautiful bedroom!!! Great job!

• Laurie
    Laurie

I wish I had your talent for putting the colors and textures together! Beautiful!

• Laurie
    Laurie

Nice! I love blue and white color combinations. I especially love that wall medallion too.