DIY Placemat Pillows

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what pillow formation I want to use on our bed in the master. I've been searching online for fabrics and even Etsy for pillow covers. I showed you a while ago the pillow cover I liked at West Elm but it sold out before I could get my hand on it.
I bought three placemats from Target. Two of them I stuffed because they were double sided and they easily became pillows for the master. The third pillow wasn't double sided. It was only one layer so I couldn't just stuff it.
The placemat was 14 x 19 and wasn't quite big enough for my 12 x 20 pillow insert. Using a seam ripper, I opened up all the seams to give me the biggest surface area possible.
Since it was only one layer, I needed another fabric to become the back. I had some extra fabric leftover from an Ikea curtain that I could use. It was about 54 inches wide and each side was finished. This was perfect for an envelope closure. I didn't have any extra zippers laying around so that wasn't an option. I wanted to use what I had.
Since my pillow insert was 12 x 20, I cut my fabric 13 x 20. I was going to go 21 in length so I would have a half inch seam allowance all around, but when I opened the seams, the corners weren't squared. For the white fabric, I just cut it in half width wise to get two even pieces and laid it on my placemat fabric so I could cut it to the same size. I overlapped the finished edges in the middle and trimmed the outsides so they matched the placemat fabric. Once the pieces were all matched up, I pinned the two together to keep them from moving. Make sure you are pinning right sides facing in.
A quick run through the sewing machine to attach the pieces and I was all done. I flipped the pillow cover right side out and inserted my pillow form.
The back has a nice, deep envelope closure.
It looks great with the other two coordinating pillows I made.
It's got a subtle chevron pattern to it and goes nicely with the medallion print of the other two pillows.

Andrea

• Janie

Great job - love every thing. Where did your other pillows come from?

thank you!

• Ellen

She says that she bought three placemats, two which were stuffable and easy to do for the master bed. Those are the printed pillows you see on the bed.

• Miss Daisy

Love the pillows but where did you get the duvet ? I'm on a fixed income so I have to really LOVE something before I will buy it and I would buy that !

• Mary McDonald

I’ve seen it on Amazon and Wayfair. I’ve debated on getting that actual duvet cover/comforter. But I have sensitive skin and nerve pain so the pinched pleats would bother me. It’s nice along with the pretty pillows

• Janet B

Love it! Beautiful bedroom!!! Great job!

• Laurie

I wish I had your talent for putting the colors and textures together! Beautiful!

• Laurie

Nice! I love blue and white color combinations. I especially love that wall medallion too.