Marty's Musings
Marty's Musings
  • Greensboro, NC

What Can You Make With an Old Closet Door? See What This DIYer Made!

My painting contractor husband salvaged old from a client that preferred new solid wood doors installed. He didn’t know what they would become, only that they would become something!. The day came when that need was revealed…a re-purposed headboard!
what can you make with an old closet door see what this diyer made, bedroom ideas, doors, repurposing upcycling
Here are the old louvred doors that we started with. Totally uninteresting!
Here's what the bedroom looked like before our budget makeover.
My husband marked a line across the center of the brace where the door would be cut then cut with a circular saw. Each of two sets received the same treatment from here forward.
My husband sprayed a light coat of Rustoleum metallic gray aerosol paint over the entire surface. This allowed him to chalk paint (white) over the gray and then distress back down to expose the gray. We used two coats of Annie Sloan Pure White and a clear wax.
He used two sets of doors, so there are four panels, attached with hinges at the center joint. Ideally, you want to screw through the panels into the wall studs. If that is not possible, just pre-drill the holes, marking the wall where the screw lands. Install wall anchors of your choice and then drive screws through the panel and into the anchors.
Here's the finished product, all decorated with a fabric rag banner and quote. Love it!
Marty's Musings

• Tammy Sensow

Did you attach the bed ftame?

• Leanne Watts

If I were to do this I'd attach it to the bed frame. Attached onto the wall means you couldn't get behind it to clean/dust w/o taking it totally down.

• Bonita Wood

How did you Diy rag banner .( rope,cord) etc.?

• Katrina

What size bed is this ? I have a king ?

• Carla

Very pretty.

• LaRhonda

🐦Thank you sweetheart you are amazing and you have really inspired me to do a lot of your beautiful projects! God bless your sweet ❤heart!