Grace
Grace
  • Lexington, KY

$7.50 Goodwill Rescue Gets a Makeover With a Shabby Chic Twist

$40
2 Weeks

This entertainment center was marked down from $61.50 to $7.50 as they had to roll it out of the store due to their store remodelling. I was in the right place at the right time.
7 50 goodwill rescue gets a makeover with shabby chic twist, painted furniture, shabby chic
I was attracted to the stained glass like window and the door knob plates. I also liked the fact that it was made out of pressed wood along with real oak.
This was the most tedious part as I had to cover the glass piece by piece in order to spray those frames, and then I cut a stencil, cover the frame and then frost sprayed the glass in order to hide the things behind this glass door. I really wanted to enhance this glass panel.
Voila! I think it turned out well. The frame looks gold here but it actually is in antique nickel finish. I also spray painted the door knob plate as well although I wasn't sure whether I would end up using them or not.
I found this wooden applique at Hobby Lobby for 1.99 each. I was lucky to find 3 from 2 stores as they told me that they won't reorder them any more.
I decided to use the chalk paint I have. I wanted a little shabby chic country French twist. The piece has been cleaned and sanded and also primed in order to prevent any bleeding through.
I also found these door knobs at Hobby Lobby. I contemplated whether I wanted to use the plates or not but Larissa, @Prodigal Pieces, one of the bloggers I follow suggested that the plate gives more interests by breaking the round theme. I think she was right. :)
Here you can see the right finish and it looks great. I think it's very pretty.
I sanded a bit and gave that distressed look. To tell you the truth, I am not used to this distressing technique...but I think I am coming around.
The entertainment center will improve this area where I keep my teaching material and treasure box for my students' prizes. I just refinished that black table, but when I saw the entertainment center with the 7.50 price tag, I knew I could do better.
Ta-Da! It's so much better. We are not big TV people. In fact, I scored that TV at a yard sale for $20. Hubby made that shallow shelf in a blink of an eye and the height is just perfect. The stool my violin is resting on is also a curb side find. I replaced the foam and fabric and it now houses my violin.
Everything fits nice and neatly.
My boys' game consoles go underneath the TV. Perfect.
No more project for me as I have a big concert coming up, but this has been very rewarding and my family loves the look and how clean this area is now.
Thank you for stopping by!
Here is one last shot of the before and after. The little vignette on top is also Goodwill score for no more than $6.00 all together. My cost includes the price of the furniture itself and the vignette, stencils, door knobs, and appliques. I used the paint I already had.

• Shanna Hudson-Stowe

this is the sort of starter that is great for a paint job.
    • Grace

Yes, it is. It is still holding great! Thank you! :D

• Wanda hutton

Love it. Have same cabinet and want to redo it. You have given me a lot of ideas. Thank you so much

• Grace

Oh I am so glad to hear that. The cabinets were so solid and they are still holding up nicely! It was one of our best investment! Good luck with your project!