How to Add Board and Batten to Walls

A great way to give your home or any room in your home a custom more detailed look is to add details to the walls. Board and batten is a great look for many different styles of decor. This tutorial gives my top 5 board and batten wall tips for adding this detail to your room.
This is my dining room that was in need of an update and I decided this would be high impact with low expense.
how to add board and batten to walls, diy, how to, wall decor, woodworking projects
Removing the existing trim carefully is key!
You can see here where the previous trim was located on the wall. The board and batten was raised higher on the wall for greater impact of detail.
To make the process go faster my husband cut one board to use as his spacer.
By using the wall as the background for part of the board and batten, it saved us time and money.
Cutting the boards on an angel allowed us to meet up with the existing trim on the stairs without having to remove it. Another time and money saver.
The AFTER- See many more photos by clicking the link to my blog post.

At Home With The Barkers

• Nancy Weldon McEntire

What kind of paint did you use? And was it used for both the walls and boards?

• AndradeTea

What a transformation! It looks great. Question: are your walls smooth or are they slightly textured?

• MC Cronin

I love what you have done, the room looks just beautiful. Love the curtains too, can you tell me the pattern and the manufacturer please. I have been looking to make new curtains and your pattern is exactly what I want.

Thank you.

• Mary

Check jcpennys.com, I’ve seen them online.