Blue & White Vintage China Cabinet

I said I wouldn't paint it. Unless it didn't sell. It didn't sell. So I painted it!
Let me explain. I purchased this vintage china cabinet at a thrift store. It looked like a puppy had chewed on it as evidenced by teeth marks. It also had damage to the side panels that the previous owner attempted to repair. But otherwise it was structurally sound and I initially planned to restore the finish.
Below is a photo of the repair started by the previous owner. I sanded off the bondo and added new trim to cover the repair on both sides of the cabinet.
There were quite a few teeth marks along the bottom and the legs of the cabinet. But I thought it was charming nonetheless.
I reconditioned the interior and exterior of the entire china cabinet. I thought it turned out rather well (photo below) and planned to take it to my booth to sell. One thing led to another and it ended up sitting in my hallway for a bit. After about a month I noticed that the veneer was drying out severely. I reconditioned it again and again, but eventually decided it was a losing battle and decided to paint the cabinet.
I chose a color scheme of Duck Egg Blue and Old White (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).
Since there was still wear and tear on the cabinet I decided to work with it instead of fighting it and applied medium to heavy distressing in keeping with its vintage charm.
The exterior details were highlighted with Old White.
I painted and distressed the hardware.
As you can see in the photo below there is still evidence of teeth marks.
The interior was painted in Old White.
The photo below shows the trim that was added to the sides.
I removed the background from the Before/After photos for a side-by-side comparison without the background clutter. I think the new look gives this piece a more beautiful appearance and looks like it has aged gracefully over the years. Which do you prefer?

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
Patricia

• Fuz21352631

It looks like you repainted the etching on the glass door- it looks brownin the original picture, blue in the finished picture. Did you, and if so, how did you do that?

• Dolly Roberts

did you take off the old finish 1st? I have a cabinet I want to paint, the wood doesn't look like it is stained, looks natural. could it possibly hand rubbed stain? how do I know? thank you. dolly
    • Julie

How do you distress wood ? I would love to do this but I don't know exactly how to make it look old and distressed . Do you have to use chalk paint? It's so expensive....

• Poo

Love it, did you paint the whole thing in the duck egg blue first and then the old white details, or how did you do the white?

• Patricia

Thank you! Yes, I painted the blue first and then used a small brush to paint the details white.

• Jennifer House

Annie Sloan would be very proud.