Asked on Apr 30, 2015

Bathroom window privacy

JuliaGuliaSwan Road DesignsNancy J
+29

Need ideas to cover this window in the tub and shower area, I have tried window cling and etching spray but the window cling falls off and the etching spray wipes off after a while. Need the privacy as the neighbors window looks directly into the bathroom. Who puts a window in a shower and bath stall???
q bathroom window privacy, bathroom ideas, window treatments, windows
  • Stacey

You can buy etching cream at Michael's it will permanently etch the glass.

• Christine Jess Danbrook

@Stacey Thanks for the heads up I will head to Michaels and get some.. I thought the spray was a permanent thing to but not with showering all the time....

• Nancy Spencer Carlson

Why do builders put a window in the shower?? Eventual water damage is a given... So, what I did with mine (in a old trailer, where the water damage has already happened and been mitigated as best I could) was put a shower curtain rod against the wall to hang a frosted vinyl shower curtain cut to the length of the window. In your applicaton, with the soap dish higher than the bottom of the window frame, you could maybe get creative and cut the bottom of the curtain in a swooshy shape. (answer to why there is a window there: if the house is very old, perhaps the tub didn't originally have a shower? Showers are new-fangled things, relatively speaking.) Btw, that's a really cool shelf the bird sits on!

• Christine Jess Danbrook

Good Idea Nancy, I thought of it but would prefer not to have another curtain hanging inside the shower. If all else fails I might have to do this. Thanks for your input and your compliment. the shelf is from ikea.

• Janice Lahew

What about using those half marbles and adhering them to the window; kind of like a faux stainglass.

• Kaelynne Aldrich

l would buy another shower curtain, cut it down to size, either make it whole to fit the window, r makeing it into two pieces to all it to be spread apart when it is not in use.would be at curtain rod that matches with the shower rod, this would be an easier afternoon project. Items needed; sewing machine, thread, needled, sissors. flat place to work on, and a measuring tape.

• Kim McNaughton

I would paint the glass,It can be any dark color you like,you can even stencil a design on it something that makes you happy but I would turn on the bathroom light at night and have someone stand in there so you can be sure that the color is dark enough to not show your silhouette.I have a standard size window in my stall I also have a neighbor across from me so I understand completely your frustration on a daily basis when you should be able to be stress free at least taking a shower.The bottom 1/2 of my window is painted but I also had a curtain over it because of the wood frame.if you own your home it's permanent, if you rent when you move you can use a paint removal product and a plastic scraper with no damage to the glass.Fortunately for me my Landlord is replacing my window with glass block because my house is 103 yrs.old and has seen better days.I hope this was helpful.

• Change of Art

Have you tried Contact Paper's version of frosted vinyl? Pretty sure it'll stay stuck – even under a stream of water.

• Nancy J

this is what I have on my front door side lights, you can't see a thing but it still allows the light to come through. I got it at Lowes and it was by the window blinds. Comes on a roll like contact paper, you just cut to size,mist the window with water,apply (you can move it around to get in exact spot) and the squeegee it. It has been up for about 6 years, but can be easily removed if I wanted to do so. I even spray with Windex to clean it, as I would my other windows. They also had colored ones to mimic stained glass.

• Nana101

Try Gallery Glass!! You can draw your own design, and add color at the same time!! http://www.plaidonline.com/gallery-glass/brand/home.htm

• Shirley Midgett

Building codes and good building practices require ventilation in bathrooms; your bathroom probably has a window instead of a vent. You are supposed to open it to vent humid air. I am sure you will find a solution to covering the window from the talented people on this sight. Good luck!

• Christine Jess Danbrook

@Shirley Midgett I have a window and a ceiling vent so Iam good that way it is just for privacy issues...I have so many great ideas from these wonderful people. Thanks Christine

• Nancy J

Gallery glass turns cloudy around humidity, I used to have it on my sidelight windows and it only looked clear when the weather was extremely dry. That is why I opted for the above, it was much easier to apply and way less time consuming

• TwoPlusCute

Frosted glass film. They come in rolls, in a variety of designs, are inexpensive and they simply use static cling. You can remove them easily and whenever you want. I am using them in a bathroom and a sidelight. Best addition ever. They come with different transparencies so check what works for you.

• Carol Burkhardt Rask

I would try to attach a little circle or square of velcro to the window trim corners( top and bottom) and attach a small plastic curtain of some sort with velcro in the corners of that too. Just push it on then....... : ) But so far, all good ideas! good luck!

• Becky Greenwald

I'd put a second shower curtain on a rod against the window wall and pull it across when needed, shove it to the side when not needed. I'd get one that is rather thin and not too opaque. Yes it's another one to keep clean, but it will give you privacy and protect the window when showering.

• Christine Jess Danbrook

Thank you all for all the wonderful ideas I am sure I will use one of them...Many Thanks Christine.

• Suz1343480

Addac mini blind with your favorite stencil & pretty jewelry to the string pull.

• Nancy J

I was just at my sisters apartment. She has the same set up, she put another shower curtain rod with a curtain liner on it, and just slides it when using the shower

• CeCe813

That's what I did with the same set-up. I used a white shower curtain on the window side so it was private (not clear), but I could slide it back when the shower was not in use and still have the light from the window.

• Swan Road Designs

You might try what another Hometalk member, Angela Davis, did. Check out this link: http://www.hometalk.com/8337637/cool-repurposed-window-dressing-from-light-panels. Might be the solution you're looking for. Seems easy to do and would be moisture resistant.

• JuliaGulia

Contact paper