Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

DIY Dining Table Organizer

$20

Two things are very much true about me: 1) I am, and will always be, a devoted junker and 2) when I fall in love with a design technique, I become slightly obsessed.

I mean, honestly, if you came across this simple little pine tool caddy, you would have been tempted, too! Right?? I love when I find cute little pieces at a thrift store that have organizing potential. You could use this as kitchen storage, table organizer, or even a planter with some cute succulents! Ha! I guess that is always true of me, too. With three kids, a dog, and a busy business, I find myself constantly in need of organizing. I guess that I have this secret hope that if I can create some semblance of order in my home, there may be more time and peace in my life. Sounds like a mom, huh?

Photo Cred: Jessica Helton

diy dining table organizer, crafts, dining room ideas, how to, organizing, woodworking projects

So, I have hit on my obsession with junking, now onto my design infatuation. Have you ever heard of Shou-Sugi-Ban? Probably not (unless you have seen my past project: DIY Cutting Board with Boho Charm

Actually, it is really quite a simple Japanese technique that involves burning the surface of the wood. The intention is to make wood more weather resistant and pest retardant. However, it comes with the major side perk of enhancing the grain of the wood and looking flat-out gorgeous! You can see a huge example of Shou-Sugi-Ban on Pinterest. But, just a few of my favs to insight a major “Wow” factor:

Obviously, doing an entire house is a MAJOR feat that I am NOT about to take on. However, this cute little tool caddy is way more manageable (and good practice). All you need is:

a wooden object

a propane torch (inexpensive at the hardware store)

a lighter

There was no need to prep the wood surface because it was already free of varnish or paint. I simply lit my torch and got going!

If you love the natural grain of wood as much as I do, this technique will thrill you! It was so cool watching the grain develop even more as the sizzle and crackle played in my ears. I have got to say that I am a way bigger fan of the campfire smell that this project made, as opposed to the fumes of paint or varnish.

So beautiful! And easy!

With a couple of accessories, this caddy makes a great organizer for my dining table. One stylish place to store napkins, salt & pepper, and an itty-bitty succulent.
Ahhh, I love finding everything I need in one place! Happily organized!

I dare you not to fall in love with Shou-Sugi-Ban!

xoxo

Chanda

• Wooden object
  • Propane torch  (Hardware Store)
  • Lighter  (Hardware Store)
Zest it Up

• LouAnne S

This technique was shown the other night on the show "Tiny Houses" and the resultant deck was awesome!

• April ferns

Well I just came up with an idea for that tool box for myself. Going to find one and plant some flowers inside of it.