Save $$ by Making Your Own Hanging Baskets!

Hanging baskets are expensive in my neck of the woods. A basket of annuals runs anywhere from 25-55.00, I don't know about you, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on plants that are only going to last a few months.
Boston ferns like most big box stores sell are better as shade plants. The Kimberly fern can take a good amount of sun and still flourish, but they are much more expensive! To get Kimberly fern hanging baskets were going to set me back $28.00 a piece- $168.00 for the six I wanted!!
To buy a Kimberly fern in a gallon pot cost $9.00. I'm not very good with math stuff, but even I could see it would be lots cheaper to make my own hanging baskets! Granted I had to buy the hanging baskets this year (10.00 a piece) but I will be able to use them for many years to come.
My total, not including the potting mix I already had ended up being $19.00 a piece- a savings of $54.00. In my book, that's nothing to sneeze at! That is $54.00 I can spend on more plants!!!
1. Fill your hanging basket about 2/3 full with potting mix.
2. Make a hole in the middle for the plant.
3. Gently pull the plant out of its original pot and then pull the roots apart a little. This gives the roots incentive to grow into the new soil, thereby increasing the plant's size.
4. Place the plant into the hanging basket. Make sure the roots are at the same level in the new soil as they were in their original pot.
*Note: This is the most often made mistake when planting. Whether you are planting a hanging basket, shrub or tree the plant needs to have the roots at the same level of the original container or slightly above. If the pant is too low in its new space, water will pool around the stem/trunk and the plant gets too much water.
5. Gently add dirt around the plant until the pot is almost full. Leave a half inch to an inch gap at the top of the pot so that when you water the soil doesn't get washed over the top of the pot.
6. Tap the dirt around the plant so it is firmly in the pot and then water thoroughly.
Fertilize with liquid fertilizer once a week. Hanging baskets end up draining the soil of nutrients easily so feeding weekly is important for growth.
I use Miracle Grow that is a powder and needs dissolving in water. The guy at my nursery doesn't recommend using pellet fertilizer (Like Osmocote) for hanging baskets as it is slower release.
Enjoy your beautiful baskets (and use the money you saved on some other pretty plants!)

Caroline

• Carmel Madden

I live in Ireland,could u recommend plants to put in my hanging baskets that will last the summer please

• Leslie

Hi Carmel, sorry for the late response but your local garden center should be able to help with this.

• Leslie

When using coconut fiber liners be aware that birds especially wrens and sparrows love pulling at the liners to use the fibers in their nests lol. Got a rude awakening to that last year when I used coconut fiber liners. I just kept them out as long as they needed the liner and the flowers did fine.

• Elizabeth

Just want to share my hanging basket change for this year. I am using decorative, metal birdcages with the coconut fiber liners instead of the traditional black metal pots with the coconut fiber liners. I will have to do some cutting/adjusting of the liners, but I did one last year and it was beautiful. So I am doing more and no pots this year.