Succulent Flower Pot Pens

In lieu of teacher appreciation day next week, I put together a cute little gift that could easily be made in a couple of hours. While the "flower pot pen" idea isn't new, I decided to use the ever-so-popular succulents as pens for a little twist! And of course I glittered the pot, because everything is better with glitter. And gold.
First, Paint your pot with white acrylic paint.
While the pot dries, use green floral tape to attach faux succulent picks to the pens (you can get them at any craft store). Start at the top and wrap it around both the pen and the pick a few times to make sure it's secure, then finish wrapping all the way down the pen.
Do this for all the pens you want to include. For the pot, I wanted my glittered part to look like it was dipped, so I used a rubberband and put it on the bottom of the pot at an angle. Using Mod Podge (or you can use regular glue), I brushed it on in sections and added glitter to stick.
Once the glue and glitter were dried, I did another layer of Mod Podge over the glitter to ensure that it will stay on and not flake off. Don't skip this step, it's important and your teacher will greatly appreciate it! :)
Once dry, add in some sand, beans, or rocks to the pot and stick in your succulent pens. Wrap it up and you're set to go!
This is also the perfect gift for Mother's day, too!
To see more detailed instructions with pictures, head over to my blog by clicking the link!

Amanda @ Dwelling In Happiness

• MMM

Doesn't the florist tape make the pen sticky?

• Victoria

No I’ve done this project with flowers on top of pens, spray painting pots and using floral tape to wrap pens. I’ve also glued a saucer to bottom of pot so it would not tip over.

• Sue Sanders

I wire then tape a large artificial flower on end of pen. No one is likely to think its their pen as cant put in purse or pocket. Easy to identify as a borrowed pen. Havent lost a pen yet.

• Liv28402086

I have made these pens before and the wrap does not stay on. What kind of glue do you use the tack it down?