Coastal Makeover For a Thrift Store Tray

$1

My latest Goodwill find is a simple DIY makeover for an ugly tray. The pretty part of the tray? It was twenty-five cents!
When I saw this tray, I wasn't very interested in it. The base had some kind of fake wood finish on it and the metal band around it was dull with a little rust. I didn't think it was worth the effort it would take to transform its look. That was before I looked at the price. It was marked at .50 and that day was half off day on household items. For .25 it seemed a lot more appealing!
I cleaned it up using some TSP Cleaner, then wiped it down and it was ready for painting. I used Rust-oleum Ultra Cover Paint + Primer in Sage Green spray paint.
Once it was dry, I sprayed it with Krylon Matte Finish and allowed that to dry. After it dried, I used a brush, stencil and chalk paint to add the anchor to the center.
After two coats of chalk paint, I was happy with how it turned out. I gave it one more spray with the finish to seal it and protect it.
I'm always looking for inexpensive ways to add coastal decor to my home. Using paint-a crafter's best friend-I managed to do just that.
I already had the stencil and paint, so the total new cost was only .25.To see more, I'd love to have you visit the link below.

• Thrifted Tray  (Goodwill)
  • Spray Paint
  • Spray Finish

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd

• Marcia
    Marcia

I lost you after you gave the stencil 2 coats of matte paint. You gave the tray 'one more spray of the finish'. What is this 'finish'? Surely, you did not spray the anchor with he grey paint you initially sprayed the tray with!