Rustic Wood Farmhouse Table Top From Reclaimed Lumber #BuildIt

I've always wanted a rustic wood farmhouse table. I wanted a table that looked worn, well-loved and appeared to be over 100 years old. It's very hard to achieve that look with new lumber.
Attach the table to the table base as shown in this tutorial --- http://www.hometalk.com/8306727/how-to-build-a-table-buildit.
The live edge and edge band gives the table a rustic but finished look.
To get that rustic look, you either need old reclaimed lumber or the skills to stain and distress new wood. I chose the first option and bought reclaimed rafters from The ReUse Warehouse in Durham, NC.
For fun I thought I'd show you the behind the scene pictures of the table top as it was being planed and ripped. That way you can view the process should you decide to piece together your own reclaimed lumber table top.
Go to my blog post at the bottom of these photos to see all the details.
The rafters were fed through a planer to give them all a uniform thickness.
It was like Christmas morning watching the wood as it came out and I could see the of the beautiful grain revealed.
Mark and Randy used a straight line rip saw to cut the edges straight with the exception of two rafter edges that would be used for a live edge on the table. I was able to salvage the edges that they ripped off for later use.
I used the rafter edges to cap the table as edge band to hide the end grain. Hold the edge band up against the end, mark and cut the excess off.
Full details on the blog post below.
Sand down the table with 180 grit sand paper. Give a final sanding with a 220 grit sandpaper.
Wipe off the table with a damp rag. Apply two coats of natural stain. After the stain has dried, apply one coat of General Finishes Flat Finish Top Coat.
More details on the blog post below.
The table top is now protected from water and wear. To tone down the sheen and give the table an authentic antique waxed finish, apply a coat of Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Wax. Buff off the wax with a dry rag.
Now your table is ready for your next dinner party!
Make sure to visit the blog to get all of the details to make your own beautiful rustic wood farmhouse table top from reclaimed lumber!

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl