A Little Front Door Love

The house gets some new lipstick!
Anchor
Anchor
It started when I found this incredible door knocker at Anthro. It was bronzy coloured when I got it and I wasn't quite feeling that so I spray painted it a nice charcoal.
Painting
Painting
Our original door was black and had a half circle window at the top that just wasn't doing it for us or the style of our home - everything else was squared off! So we went and picked up a new door slab and a semi gloss pint of outdoor paint. The colour!? The colour is called Stiletto Love!
Old Door
Old Door
I was really nervous to actually paint the door, what if I made a mess of it?! Well if I didn't like it I could just repaint it again! So I just attacked the door
Now I did learn a couple of door painting lessons:
- paint a door with a roller and use the paintbrush for tight spots and edge drips - don't try to paint the whole door with the paintbrush - you'll get lots of brush strokes that won't go away
- don't paint under the bright hot sun... it will dry so fast and you'll be left with brushstrokes if you're painting with a brush!
I had a minor brushstroke meltdown and then hauled out the sandpaper to give the brushstrokes a light sanding to knocked them down. Then back in for another coat of paint with a little roller, and it worked out well! The very light brush strokes ended up looking like woodgrain...silver linings right!?
Fresh Coat of Paint
Fresh Coat of Paint
We also moved the door into the shade so that the paint wouldn't dry so quickly while I was putting on the final coats.
Once the paint was dry, my Pickle (that's my husband), popped out the the old door and dropped the new one put in - just the slab - no framing change - we found a slab that was the exact size as the one that was installed on the house originally... we added some new weather stripping and this new door seals up better than the original one ever did!
New Door
New Door
Here she is installed! A little street view action!
Before and After
Before and After
Checkout the before and after side by side! *swoon* I love it! The squared off window matches the house so much better.
Final Touches
Final Touches
...oh ya!...we can't forget! THE ANCHOR DOOR KNOCKER!
New Door With Anchor Installed
New Door With Anchor Installed
And of course little nautical style vinyl that welcomes people to our home! "AHOY!"
Ahoy!...
Ahoy!...
I cut the vinyl using my Silhouette Cameo and BAM! Popped it on the door - easy on and easy off. We can switch it up whenever the mood strikes!
a little front door love, curb appeal, doors, painting
Here she is this year... The lilacs are more grown in and I swapped out the lantern to copper and added a topiary boxwood!... AND we since switched out the light fixture as well!
Feathering My Nest - Lacey Haskell

• Walt Page

Just a painters tip,Of course if you can spray it,not with a can,ha ha,but an airless or air sprayer.Leave laying in shade,look like a car finish,but and either spray ,brush ,or roller,thin with Flowetrol(sp?) if usind latex or Penetrol if oil,but 10% at least,and if you work fast,most brush marks will disappear. Metel doors almost need to be sprayed,wood more forgiving.Your job looks Jam up,no pun missed.Great job !!! The thinning with these products will help more than water,or mineral spirits.

• Thanks Walt! I had a spayer but not a big enough space to spray (wasn't sure how well spraying outside would go) but thanks for the flowtrol tip! GOOD TO KNOW! :)

• Bernice H

I love this! Yes it would catch my eye if i drove by! and i would say..hmmm someone interesting lives in here. We just painted our mobile home door teal..and i posted. It doesnt look like a mobile home door any longer.