Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atascadero, CA

Bench For Your Backyard

$50

Edited:
Thank you so much for the kind compliments! Some of you brought up some good questions and concerns...
1- we have never had an issue with the cinder blocks moving. Not to say it wouldn't happen, but just know that we have had countless parties and kids over and never had any issues with blocks shifting but if you want to play it safe you can definitely use an adhesive. What I kind of liked though
cinder block bench for your backyard, diy, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, woodworking projects

Here's our blank canvas :)

But there is one sad part about this blog post, remember Franklin- oh good old Frankie. In case you have no clue who I am talking about, Meet Franklin. My 50 lb 6 year old Sulcata Tortoise who recently ran away. Yep, he managed to escape his cinder clock cage while Billy and I were out of town, so saddddddd. But with that said, it's been quite some time now since Frankie escaped and Billy and I were ready to move on and make use of his cage. Heck now we can think of him when we sit on our bench right? haha

Supplies: (for my exact bench, feel free to altar to your area)

• cinder blocks (22 doubles, 8 singles)
  • 6 - 4x4 wooden planks
  • wood stain
  • polyurethane
  • paint brush
  • sander
  • soil/plantings

Did I mention we were able to get some of our husbands to join in the zest?!?!? Oh heck yes!! Billy started with some sanding....

Next Josh and Cooper tag teamed staining the wood

There might have been a few beers involved as every good man project should....

After the stain is dry go ahead and add a coat of polyurethane for extra protection in the weather

Now it's time to play tetris!!

First off you will want to wear gloves when you move the cinder blocks to avoid them tearing up your hands.

So you can see the formula that worked for me here....mixing in those doubles and singles to create the pyramid look for plantings

Now to plant! I am going to do some native grasses and succulents since the cinder blocks are not too big and won't hold too much water for long- gotta think of what will actually live!!

Fill the blocks with soil and get to planting....

Managed to find a little friend in the process!! ah!! {i LOVE frogs...im weird}

Yay! LOVE the color and can't wait until these start to grow and really hang over the blocks and fill in!!

Billy managed to sneak in one more coat of poly while I planted...

And there you have it!! So excited for our next bonfire!!

xo,
Sam
Zest it Up

• Connie Johnson Vinroe

Will the polyurethane make the wood hotter than without? I made one and was wondering. By the way yours looks great. I did paint my blocks black to match the furniture tat I already have on my deck. I'm gonna steal the flower pit at the end.

• Zest it Up

Hi Connie! Great question! We haven't had any issues with the polyurethane making the wood hot. We also haven't had any issues with splinters. Adding cushions is a great idea tho!

• Keto

Nice job. Have you thought about maybe painting the blocks so they disappear? Maybe dark charcoal grey?

• Zest it Up

Great idea! We liked the natural concrete look of the cinder blocks so we decided to leave it.

• Nilaboone2005

Absolutely lovely! Nice work. I was wondering is that sand or tiny rocks on your ground ??

I want to do this in my back yard, as I don’t want grass.

• Sonia Turley-Landers

Lovely! Absolutely the best use of cinder blocks and stained wood for seating idea ever!

• Jeannine

Looks good, but I would pain the bricks to match. or, color of outdoor decor.