How to Get a Tiny Kitchen Cooking

Challenged by the constraints of a tiny kitchen? This can be a difficult space to streamline since it is the center of so much household action.
make the most of your tiny kitchen
Good news: There are many simple ways to make even the smallest kitchen organized, attractive and functional.
arrange your kitchen to maximize the space
Concentrate first on arranging the kitchen to maximize the space you do have. Assess the amount of counter, cupboard and wall space available before beginning your organization process. Then consider your kitchen contents and how they will most efficiently fit in.
round containers take up space
Although round containers look pretty, square ones save a lot more space, especially in small square pantries. You can see from the photo above how much more room a round jar would take up in the cupboard.
credit: Megan Duesterhaus
Get creative with utensil and cookware storage. You can put magnetic racks on the walls, fridge or inside cupboards. For items you reach for constantly, consider arranging in small jars, making them part of the décor.
credit: Megan Duesterhaus
Utilize baskets and bins for storage; you can put everything from spices and oils to cleaning supplies in these. Label clearly so you can find things easily. Buy the baskets in colors designed to brighten your kitchen, or create the color yourself by attaching fabric.
good lighting is important
Make sure your kitchen is well-lit, which will improve and open up the visual space. If you don’t have a natural source, such as the window pictured above, try implementing lamps, stick-on lights or even a string of Christmas lights to brighten things up.
grow herbs for recipe ingredients
Finally, never underestimate the power of plants to liven up any room in the house. Place a few pretty greens in the kitchen — perhaps herbs that can double as actual ingredients in your recipes!
storage decor

To see more: http://www.forrent.com/blog/

• Laura Bolea

How did you paint the inside of your jars and what kind of paint did you use? I would love to do this but would be afraid of bits of paint coming out with my utensils.

• Heather Calvin

I love, love your blue (tile?) background pictures in your kitchen with the mason jars. Where did you purchase and/or do you have a link?? Thank you so much!
  • Nancy Isom

Where did you get the wire basket for the utensil mason jars? I want to do this.
    • ForRent.com

Hi Nancy, thank you for your inquiry! You can find a wire basket comparable to this basket at your local arts and crafts store or at your neighborhood department store!

• Gina

Indeed it is a smaller sized kitchen. It is way bigger than my tiny apartment kitchen. In front of my window I put IKEA or any other type of wine racks and topped it with a piece of wood. Makes for a great bar area in what is often wasted space. Searched on the net for a tiny shelving unit to put next to it for wine essentials.
    • Amber H

What a great idea Gina! Creating space where ever you can is not just a necessity, but also super smart!

• Gina

The window bar is just the length of a single window and the depth of the wine rack, so not a big footprint, but it really does make a statement. I had some cabinets put in, but I also had a thrift store find of a mid-century modern china cabinet for 25.00 (Score) I put that on one wall and added shelves above it, and baskets under it for canned goods. Glass front so put my serving dishes, canisters and other stuff I liked displayed in it.